Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2012 11:00

Bug in VSI?

I have installed the latest VSI Plugin (5.2) on the vCenter server.  After creating a LUN on the VNX5300 with the plugin, the Storage Details show as incomplete, shown below.

Runtime Name Product Model Revision Array Device Name Device ID Type RAID Capacity Storage Group Pool FAST VP Policy Paths Owner Policy
vmhba3:C0:T0:L7 VRAID           Unknown 531 Unknown
Unknown Unknown
1000.00 GB Fixed

4 NMP Fixed

The same is shown for a LUN that was created from within Unisphere as well.  Is this a bug in VSI?

I also had a question about the LUN expansion.  When expanding, does it create a metaLUN or not?  From what we could tell, it does not, which is what we prefer anyway.

Thanks for your help!

286 Posts

April 23rd, 2012 12:00

If it is a new LUN the Solutions Enabler server that backs the Storage Viewer may not be updated with the latest LUN information. Did you go to Home > Solutions and Applications > EMC > Storage Viewer > VNX Systems and click Sync All Systems? Try that and refresh the storage viewer screen.

286 Posts

Sure thing! Glad I could help

4 Posts

Wow that was quick!  Thanks a lot!

25 Posts

And if you want the 'sync' to happen automatically when you create new LUNs in the future, then check the 'Auto Sync' box next to the VNX array in question.  But keep an eye on the performance of VSI, because these syncs can sometimes be expensive.

April 23rd, 2012 13:00

NYSP wrote:

I also had a question about the LUN expansion.  When expanding, does it create a metaLUN or not?  From what we could tell, it does not, which is what we prefer anyway.

To answer your last question, seeing the reference to "VRAID", that corresponds to an underlying Pool (LUN: thin or thick).  You are correct that it doesn't create a metaLUN, but simply expands the existing pool LUN.  It is similar to if in Unisphere you were to right-click on the LUN and select "Expand", you specify "New user capacity".  Then, if it is a thick LUN only reserves that space or in the case of a thin LUN lets the system consume up to the new allocated size. 

Basically from the user's perspective you are just increasing the container (which underneath is made up of as many 1GB extents as required: reserved and/or allocated-on-demand).

4 Posts

April 24th, 2012 04:00

We noticed something else after the lun was created.  In Unisphere, the Physical Drive and Logical Drive shows as Unknown.  I've attached a screen shot.

unisphere.JPG

April 26th, 2012 14:00

Is this still an issue?  I'm thinking it probably updated on its own by now.  The default "Update Interval in Hours" is 24 (unless it was modified).

However, next time try clicking on the "Update Host Info" button at the bottom of the same page from which you took the above screenshot.

4 Posts

April 30th, 2012 04:00

Yep.  It appears to have updated on 4/27.  Thanks for the info!

44 Posts

May 15th, 2012 22:00

Just FYI, if you're usiing VSI USM to extend a datastore, after the LUN is expanded, it will add new extent to the LUN so that the datastore is extended as well.

Adding new extent can be done outside of USM as well, details on page 136, section “Adding extents to Datastores” in  http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_3_server_config.pdf .

No Events found!