Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 6th, 2012 12:00

Does SVM have the granularity to select specific VM RDMp drives and convert them to VMDK on Specific VMFS's?

Have a VM that has 2 RDMp's,

Want to convert these RDMp's to vmdk's at the same time move to NEW target Luns.

Can this be acconplished with Storage Vmotion (esxi5)?

Can I select specific RDMp and place them on specific NEW vmfs datastores?

Is ther overhead on the conversion? Thinking metadata for the vmfs so the target lun should be a bit larger that source RDMp

any guidence helpful

199 Posts

June 6th, 2012 20:00

In ESX 5.0, during the Storage vMotion, virtual mode RDMs can be converted to thick/thin provisioned disks by selecting the appropriate options under the Advanced section of the migration wizard. Physical mode RDMs can only be converted with a cold migration. For more information, see the Migrating RDMs, and a question for RDM Users blog post.

121 Posts

June 7th, 2012 06:00

I've moved this discussion to the main level of the community to ensure it gets higher visibility.

-Dave Henry

Everything VMware at EMC Community Manager

199 Posts

June 7th, 2012 20:00

About the VMDK overhead, VMFS-5 volumes will require approximately 970 MB of capacity to be reserved on the VMFS volume plus an additional 1MB for each 100GB of the volume.

161 Posts

June 7th, 2012 20:00

As I knew, one way is to run the VMware Converter. It can use the source as your existing virtual machine and the destination as a new virtual machine.

The result is generating a copy of the VM where the RDM is converted to VMDK.

No Events found!