Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 21st, 2015 07:00

ESRS Virtual appliance and vmware tools

Hello All,

We have an EMC ESRS Virtual appliance installed on our VMWare servers and need to have the VMWare tools on this appliance installed. The reason for this is our backup software (veeam) can't communicate with the virtual appliance to take an backup.

Why aren't the tools installed in the appliance by default ? and is it ok if we install the tools ?

I asked this also by EMC chat support, but they refered me to VMWare as how to install the tools. I know how i must do this but want to know if it is ok to do this or would i break something when installing them ?

Kind regards,

Alex.

August 22nd, 2015 05:00

You could just create a separate job for this vm, and turn off the requirement for Tools quiescence. Your backup will only be crash consistent, but it's better than nothing.

2 Posts

August 25th, 2015 01:00

To bad no one seems to know why the tools aren't installed on an virtual appliance from EMC .... I find this a little bit curious to say the least but we will adjust our backup .....

11 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 16:00

Most Appliances from the vendors don't allow VMtools installed, or they have an old version of it. The reason for this is the testing of the tool in the vApp has not been done and could mess it up.

No Events found!