Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2011 07:00

How to run the powerlink grab utility on a esxi 4.0 hosts

looking for direction on how to run the grab utility on a esxi hosts 4.0, anyone has done this before?

thanks in advance

February 10th, 2011 08:00

sdmadmin, welcome to the forum and to borrow a phrase from Chad Sakac "Thank you for being an EMC customer".

Firstly, please note that there are two separate grab utilities: one for ESX where, as you know, the user has access to the console and can upload and run directly on the server and another for ESXi where you extract it and run it from a separate windows host that has HTTP access to the vCenter server and remotely issue the commands.

They are both available separately from either:

1) Direct download (FTP):

ftp.emc.com/pub/emcgrab/ESXi
ftp.emc.com/pub/emcgrab/ESX

2) PowerLink via the following breadcrumb trail:

Home > Support > Product and Diagnostic Tools > Grab Utilities

Currently, the latest v1.1.1 is only available from the FTP link and fixes an issue when running the utility against an v4.1 ESXi server; however, even though you mentioned you are running 4.0, still obtain the latest.  There will usually be a discrepancy from what is available on the FTP site as there is a slight delay introduced when Engineer submits the utility to the PowerLink team to make available from the website.

In either location, there will be an accompanying readme file with the installation instructions and the syntax.

1 Message

March 6th, 2011 19:00

I have tried Grab 1.1.1 for ESXi4.1 but not available.

Error opening connection

It shows up Could not open a connection to the ESXi host

the script shown below:

emcgrab.exe -host 192.168.2.86 -user abc\ronald -password 1234 -vmsupport

Please advise!      

April 2nd, 2013 03:00

Hi,

This sounds a old issue but I thought a solution for this is captured somewhere but to my luck I could not find it anywhere.

Am getting the same error as gsronald is getting. Would appreciate any quick response on this.

Thanks in advance!

Taz~

April 2nd, 2013 22:00

Taz,

Refer to the release notes in the following directory

ftp://ftp.emc.com/pub/emcgrab/ESXi/

There are several possible candidates mentioned towards the end.  They range from certain password limitations and possibly not having the required HTTP connection (firewall) available between the Windows host from which you are running the grab utility and the ESXi server.

No Events found!