Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2013 08:00

Is there a future for VDI?

While our team spends a lot of time talking about new ways to deliver applications, Windows apps are not going away completely for a while.  Over time, as the number of them goes down, I think we'll see a lot of customers look towards VDI or Terminal Server / Citrix XenApp to serve out those remaining apps.  BYOD, Mobility, and the multiple-device culture will continue to drive new ways of delivering applications...but there are Windows Apps that just aren't going anywhere.

Perhaps the thinking of "let's sweep the floor of all physical desktops and replace them with VDI" is a thing from the past...but I wouldn't see VDI going away because of that.

This article from Brian Madden also helps to pain the first half of this picture...that is...who really wants to manage a Windows desktop if you don't HAVE to...and the time of HAVING to manage that desktop continues to diminish...

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/brianmadden/archive/2013/02/19/who-wants-to-manage-all-the-quot-gunk-quot-of-windows-just-to-deliver-an-app.aspx

Comments and Suggestions?

jim

31 Posts

February 20th, 2013 08:00

What VDI brings us on the table? Central Management is the major one. If it counts, then I would guess VDI's days are numbered.

I think there is a "Compute Freedom" issue here. VDI adds more limits on "Compute Freedom" and it is not the trend for future cloud and distributed computing.

Weining

No Events found!