Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 24th, 2012 21:00

SnapView required for SRM and MirrorView

Was just thinking about the process of SRM with MirrorView /S on a VNX/CX.   Would SnapView be required for a customer who wants the ability to execute a test of the recovery plan in SRM?   I'm assuming it would, since the test would leverage a writeable snapshot at the DR site.   If they never wanted to test (highly unlikely), then I'm assuming it would work without the SnapView license?

199 Posts

April 25th, 2012 23:00

Slowrider,  you are right about this. SnapView snapshot is need to be created on the secondary storage system for testing purpose. You can find more information on

MirrorView Adapter for VMware Site Recovery Manager Release Notes

Please read "Configuring the storage for Site Recovery Manager" part on page 12

During failover testing, the MirrorView Adapter uses SnapView snapshots. When you create a SnapView snapshot of a LUN for a virtual machine, the name of the snapshot must include the following text string: VMWARE_SRM_SNAP. During failover testing, the MirrorView Adapter looks for this text string in the name of the inactive snapshot(s) for the virtual machine LUN(s) and creates a consistent snap session for this snapshot(s). When failover testing is finished, the MirrorView Adapter stops the SnapView session automatically.

28 Posts

April 24th, 2012 23:00

It is a little fresh, we will make some research and get back to you.

643 Posts

April 25th, 2012 01:00

The SnapView is required for testing failove and testing failback as SRM needs the snapshots for test scenarios.  But if you are not going to do test, I don't think you need the SnapView.

Please refer to the below link for more information:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/188971

http://viops.vmware.com/home/docs/DOC-1227

161 Posts

April 26th, 2012 00:00

Slowrider, further explanation on difference between executing SRM recovery plan and testing the environment:

• Execution of the SRM recovery plan is a one-time activity, while running an SRM test can be done multiple times without user intervetion
  • SnapView snaphosts are not involved during an executed SRM recovery plan
  • The MirrorView secondary copies and promoted as the new primary LUNs to be used for production operation
  • After executing a recovery plan manual steps are needed to resume operation at the original production site

More EMC-Clariion-VMware-integration go to:

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h1416-emc-clariion-intgtn-vmware-wp.pdf

August 1st, 2012 07:00

I have successfully run a test recovery using a CX4-120 at our recovery site with a VNX 5500 at our production site. Snapview seemed to do just what it needed to do for the test and everything went well. I was curious though and I cannot seem to find any documentation on this.... do I need to remove my snapshot after I do the test? or do I just use the same snapshot over and over for my testing? We will need to do quarterly test recovery so not sure if I need to do a snapshot each time or just the one for each lun once... Any thoughts?

Thanks

Toby

No Events found!