Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2010 21:00

Unified plugin error: "No host is connected to the selected array" when adding disk/lun via plugin

The below assumes you have an ESX/i server under a storage group on a EMC mid-range array with flare operating system equal to or greater than 29 (meets requirements in README).

In order for the plugin to work appropriately for adding block storage ie, disk/lun, the version 2.0 release requires that the ESX/i server name that was given during install is a FQDN, ie. esx01.lab.local, (look below for workaround).  If the server was not installed with a hostname (esx01) and not the FQDN, the storage array will list the server by hostname only (see log below to verify).  The command listed in #1 needs to contain the FQDN of the the ESX/i server as well as the the #2 command.  If the name doesn't exactly match with a FQDN, then the plugin will fail with a "No host is connected to the selected array" error.  Note: What is listed for ESX/i hostname under vCenter has nothing to do with the name that was given the host during ESX/i install which is what is used when registering the host to the storage array.  Also, Navisphere/Unisphere may not list the most up to date hostname, check with the command below or log below to see the actual name registered.

1) Verify the hostnames that were registered with the storage array by looking at the below log file which dumps out a "naviseccli storagegroup -list -host" command.  Output during plugin run of this command is below:

C:\Users\kitsoc\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Plugins\EMC Virtual Storage Integrator\Logs

C:\Users\kitsoc\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Plugins\EMC Unified Storage\log

2) Verify the hostname that the server was installed as equals what is listed in the logs

~ # esxcfg-advcfg -g /Misc/HostName

Value of HostName is irv-vsp41-06 (this is bad, needs to be FQDN)

The Workaround

If #2 is set to just the hostname as shown above, then the storage array will most likely also be showing just the hostname.  Either one of these two not set to FQDN will cause the plugin to fail.  By changing the ESX/i server's hostname to a FQDN and reregistering the paths to the storage array, the host will showup under the new FQDN name.  Follow the steps below:

1) Put the ESX/i host into maintenance mode (right click, maintenance mode)

2) Remove the ESX/i host from the cluster (right click, remove)

3) SSH to the ESX/i host, or run via vMA

~ # esxcfg-advcfg -s irv-vsp41-06.lab.local /Misc/HostName

output: Value of HostName is irv-vsp41-06.lab.local

4) reboot ESX/i host

5) Readd the ESX/i host to the cluster (right click cluster, add host).

6) Remove host from maintenance mode

Once the ESX/I host boots up it should rescan the storage devices with its new name and the naviagent living on the ESXi host should force a registration under the new name.  Keep in mind after this that what shows up in Navisphere/Unisphere may be the old name.  Check from "naviseccli storagegroup -list -host" or by verifying within the plugin log that the new FQDN is showing up under a storage group.

The plugin should function properly if all preqrequisites are met under the README, and the steps #1 and #2 above return the same FQDN.

Update: the issue has been identified and should be rectified in the next release

No Responses!
No Events found!