Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2010 06:00

VMware Beefs Up Virtualization, Cloud Tech With Two Deals

VMware this week said it is making two acquisitions in a move to boost its server virtualization and its desktop PC virtualization technologies and adding to its cloud computing platform. Read on...

Let me know what you think about these acquisitions below...

1 Message

February 28th, 2010 16:00

The challenge here will be to integrate.   Purchasing products is fraught with issues from development resources internally to UI consistency externally.   Yes the purchasing company gains some customers though is it worth while is the question.

I look forward to seeing how VMware integrates and how long it takes. 

I believe the purchase makes sense for the management levels to become a single source supplier of everything cloud both internal ones and external ones.

March 30th, 2010 12:00

Hi Brittany,

Can you offer any insight as to how the EMC Ionix family of products will be effected by this acquisition.  I presume that VMware will brand FastScale, Application Discovery Manager, Server Discovery Manager and Service Manager under VMware.  Will EMC OEM these products from VMware and continue to offer them as EMC products?

Thanks,

Richard

March 31st, 2010 08:00

EMC will continue to sell the whole IT management portfolio, including those products being transferred to VMWare. When VMware re-brands the transferred products sometime in Q3 (by simply replacing Ionix with vCenter),  EMC will continue to resell the transferred products under the EMC Select program.

Special dispensation has been granted for those products ordered and fulfilled through Select.  Ionix and Core sales and TC’s will be paid at 100% against their quota and revenue retirement objectives for VMware’s Ionix products that go through select.  The normal policy of 75% has been waived

April 5th, 2010 09:00

Thanks Jonathan.  Does this mean that there will be an EMC Ionix Version of Discovery, Server and Configuration Managers as well as WMware versions sold under the EMC Select Program or will they only be available through the Select Program?

Also Can you point me to an architecture of the Ionix products.  I'm confused as to how they interact and play together.

Thanks,

Richard

April 6th, 2010 19:00

For the solutions moving over to VMware, they only be available in the market as VMWare-branded.  They will then be resold by EMC as VMware-branded under the EMC Select Program.

As for a high level view of the integrations across Ionix, here is a slide or two to help. Contact me directly if you have any specific questions.

-Jon

siegal_jonathan@emc.com

1 Attachment

April 19th, 2010 11:00

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks that was very useful.  I have an additional question.  Can you tell me how Ionix is priced?

Thanks,

Richard

April 20th, 2010 06:00

Richard -

Glad that helped. For a pricing discussion, it's probably best for me to bring in a local Ionix salesperson. What is your company and location?

Regards,

Jon

April 20th, 2010 06:00

Hello,

I will be out office Tuesday April 20, 2010 through Thursday April 22, 2010.

Should you need immediate assistance please contact the Help desk at 1-877-362-4843 or at extention 5370

>>> jonathans 04/20/10 09:34 >>>

jonathans replied to the discussion

"VMware Beefs Up Virtualization, Cloud Tech With Two Deals"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.emc.com/message/466788#466788

May 27th, 2010 09:00

Jon,

With the transfer of Service Manager, Application Discovery Manager and Server Configuration Manager to VMware and now only available through the EMC Select channel it would seem that the story you posted that shows the high level Ionix work flow would now be dependent on products only available from the select program.  Is this the plan, or do you think the the work flow will be modified using only native Ionix components?

Thanks,

Richard

IonixWorkFLow.jpg
No Events found!