Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2013 10:00

VMware installation with EMC VNX 5300 block

Hi,

I have 8 servers with FC cards, VMware EXSi 5.0 is installed as hyper-visor.

Need to configure VNX 5300 storage with 8 host for  Vmotion, want to know the lun mapping  with host, would it be individual luns or shared luns.

Kindly share the document or steps to configure the same.

Regards

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 7th, 2013 14:00

8 Posts

October 4th, 2013 11:00

I have exact config working flawlessly.

I will go under the assumption your 8 hosts initiators are already registered with the VNX array.

Lets assume Host1....Host8

You create 1 storage group per each host: Host1SG...Host2SG.....HOST8SG.

You make Host1 the host of HOST1SG, Host2 the host of Host2SG .... so on so forth.

you create your storage pool

you slice your first LUN1 with LUNID=17  (i always do this above 16, i can't remember why)

you open the Host1SG and connect LUN1 and when you add it you also specify 17 under the HOST LUN ID column to be consistent

then you apply,

when done open the HOST2SG and change the "Show LUNS" dropbox to 'ALL' (ignore warning)

repeat procedure and apply

rinse and repeat to all 8 storage groups,

back to vmware and rescan the storage on every host... voil'a ... all your host can see that same LUN1 go ahead make it a datastore VMFS5, spin up a VM and vmotion the heck out of it across the hosts1...

pat yourself in the back and crack open a beer.... cheers!!

November 2nd, 2013 09:00

Unless you are booting the ESXi servers themselves from the array also, while what you describe of course works there is a simpler way to accomplish the same shared storage configuration.  Dynamox describes it perfectly here:

https://community.emc.com/message/771313#771313

No Events found!