Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2011 09:00

VSI Path Management Error

Hi all - I'm getting a strange error when trying to use the Path Management feature in the VSI plugin:

Path Management
EMC Corporation
Disabled
Enables the user to set NMP and PowerPath/VE multipath policies for hosts and clusters.
Custom tasks are not supported, so PowerPath tasks will not appear.

I don't believe this to be caused by the software installed on my workstation, since one of my coworkers can login to vCenter and path management works flawlessly.  From the vCenter front, we are both granted Administrator access.  Are there other permissions that need to be set that I'm missing perhaps?

Something else?

2 Posts

July 14th, 2011 12:00

I think I've answered my own question after troubleshooting for a few hours.

I discovered that the VSI Path Management feature requires Host CIM Interaction permissions (host.cim.interaction), which only local administrators on ESX servers have by default.  I haven't figured out a way to grant that permission to other users, so keep in mind that you'll need to be logged in to vCenter with an ID that has local ESX admin rights to be able to perform path management functions with the VSI plugin.

Can anyone else confirm this?

727 Posts

July 15th, 2011 14:00

Hi,

This is a documented restriction described in the VSI Path Management Product Guide.

The vCenter user is required to have the Host.Cim.CimInteraction permission set.

The vCenter Administrator role includes this permission by default

vCenter Server permissions are based on roles. There are many default roles created by VMware, or the user can create custom roles picking the permissions that they want.  These roles are then assigned to a user in the context of some object in the virtual datacenter (could be the entire virtual datacenter, or just a VM).  You can assign a role by right-clicking on an object (choose the datacenter to give permission everywhere), choosing the user that you want to give permission to, and then choosing the role. In this case you’ll want to select the Administrator role, or maybe even create a custom role that is a copy of the Administrator role with some things restricted.

No Events found!