Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2011 07:00

Where to find VSI for VMware vSphere version 4

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured I'd try here as I have seen other posts for VSI under Symm.

I'm trying to install VSI for VMWare vSphere V4.0 and am having problems installing it or locating the appropriate software to install.

According to the guide "EMC VSI for VMware vSphere: Storage Viewer Version 4.0 Product Guide", EMC Virtual Storage Integrator (VSI) for VMware vSphere version 4.0 is a plug-in to VMware’s vSphere Client that provides a single management interface for managing EMC storage within the vSphere environment. Features can be added and removed from VSI independently, providing flexibility for customizing VSI user environments. Features are managed using the VSI feature Manager."

"Examples of features available for VSI are Storage Viewer (SV), Path Management, Storage Pool Management (SPM), Symmetrix SRA Utilities, and Unified Storage Management."

When I look in Powerlink downloads for VSI V4, I only seem to find features and not VSI for VMware vSphere. I'm guessing there should be a base componnent that must be first installed prior to independently installing the features. I'm not sure if that is a correct assumption or not.

In Powerlink under downloads > Virtual Storage Integrator I see downloads for the following V4 features, VSI Storage Viewer (SV), VSI Unified Storage Management, VSI Storage Pool Management (SPM), VSI Symmetrix SRA Utilities, VSI Path Management. I don't see any download for just the Virtual Storage Intergrator framework.

Under downloads > Virtual Storage Intergrator (VSI) Pre 4.x there is actually a "Virtual Storage Integrator 3.0.1 for vSphere" installation which provides the framework, the SV and SPM.

Working with the downloads that are available to me with V4, I tried to install the VSI Storage Viewer, but the installation blows up with "EMC VSI Storage Viewer for VMware vSphere has encountered a problem and needs to close".

I am running Windows XP SP2, SYMCLI 7.2, VMware vSphere Client V4.1.

Any help would eb greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 16th, 2011 07:00

Dave,

i believe this is it

1-16-2011 10-56-00 AM.png

also take a look at this thread

https://community.emc.com/thread/114975?start=0&tstart=0

20 Posts

January 16th, 2011 09:00

Hi,

Thanks much for the reply. Okay, so I'm a little confused, but that's not saying much.

I believe the Unified Storage Management is just one of the features (used for managing Unified Storage platforms i.e. Celerra), such as Storage Viewer, and Storage Pool Manager to be used with VSI.

In fact from the Unified Storage Management Product Guide it states " EMC VSI for Vmware vSphere Unified Storage Management is a VMware vCenter feature designed to simplify storage administration of the EMC Celerra NAS storage platform and the EMC CLARiiON block storage platform".  

"EMC VSI for VMware vSphere: Unified Storage Management is a feature of EMC Virtual Storage Integrator(VSI) for VMware vSphere. The Unified Storage Management feature is accessed and run from within"  actually, the text stops right there after within. The sentenced is never finished.

I'm actually looking to get information from my SYMM and VMAX not from a Celerra or CLARiiON.

Anyway, I ran the installation and it installed that feature. You can see from the screen shots that under Solutions and Applications VSI appears. Then opening that it shows the Unified Storage Management as a feature.  Also in looking under Plug-In Manager, it appears that also installed the VSI framework.

So my confusion is, it appears the Unified Storage Management feature also install the VSI frmaework.  If so, that isn't clear to me that it should. What if I didn't have a CLARiiON or Unified Storage system, I would never look to install that feature.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 16th, 2011 15:00

i believe everything was combined into one plug-in that can manage Celerra, Clariion, VMAX (through SMC) in addition to reporting VMAX/DMX configuration. Sorry i can't give you anymore details as i am still running VSI 3.0 but if you post your question in the same forum with that original link i posted you will get a reply from SME.

286 Posts

January 17th, 2011 15:00

VSI 4.0 is not one single install--it is separated into different features that are installed separately. Each install though includes the "framework" that allows it to function and be configured but only installs the stated feature. Therefore each feature of VSI can be, and is, a standalone install.

There are five distinct features:

• Storage Viewer -this allows you to view your VMAX, Celerra, CLARiiON or VPLEX storage from within the vSphere client. This is the basic original feature of VSI that you are used to
  • Storage Pool Management--this allows you to provision VMAX storage from virtual pools from within the vSphere Client
  • Path Management--this allows you to configure PowerPath/VE or NMP easily for your vSphere environment
  • SRA Utilities--this allows advanced functionality for VMware Site Recovery Manager and SRDF such as Failback and Consistency Group creation
  • Unified Plugin--this allows you to provision and/or compress data for your Unified storage platforms (as well as many other features).

These can be downloaded individually here on Powerlink:

Home > Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads T-Z > Virtual Storage Integrator (VSI)

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/appmanager/km/secureDesktop?internalId=0b0140668056443c

Download and install which ever one you want.

Thanks!

Cody

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cody Hosterman

SVPG Partner Engineering – VMware & Cisco Technologies

EMC Corporation

Twitter @codyhosterman

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Posts

April 26th, 2011 20:00

To me, it makes no sense why the VSI is broken up in such a way.  If a single installer was created, and you could pick and choose by check boxes at the beginning of the installation, it would make things much easier and this confusion would be avoided.

I persoanlly am trying to find documentation on setting up the Solutions Enabler server (or vApp) but am having little success.  Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 26th, 2011 21:00

286 Posts

April 27th, 2011 09:00

In addition to the Install Guide dynamox pointed out, I put a little bit more of a detailed description in the Install & Config chapter of the SRDF and SRM Techbook that I think you might find helpful if you are setting up the vApp version of SE.

http://www.emc.com/collateral/software/technical-documentation/h7061-srdf-adapter-vcenter-srm.pdf

December 14th, 2012 11:00

I was looking for the same...here is the path.

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Software ~ T-Z ~ Documentation > Virtual Storage Integrator (VSI) > Virtual Storage Integrator for vSphere > Release Notes

Happy reading.

44 Posts

December 25th, 2012 23:00

VSI Framework is the foundation on which all VSI features (including Unified Storage Management) are built, so it is included in the installation package for every VSI feature.

Of course, the installation package will check if VSI Framework is already installed and skip the installation if so.

No Events found!