Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2012 02:00

vmdk file data storage ????

hi i m preux pursuing b.tech.  my last year thesis will be on the data stored in the vmdk file ?

firstly i will tell you how much i done ...

i will created 2 different vmdk

1 -sparse.vmdk

2 -flat.vmdk

open it into a hexeditor which provide me the hexadecimal structure  of  the vmdk files .by using virtual disk format 5.0 which is avilable on the vmware site i get some knowledge of the structure of the vmdk file .

when i read the structure of the -flat vmdk its similar to the hard disk structure i can easily seen the MBR(master boot record) ,PBR(partition boot record) and $MFT(master file table) in the -flat vmdk?

but when i go for the sparse its quite different from the -flat i am using the formula provided in the virtual disk format 5.0 through this i can only seen the  MBR and PBR but when we aplly this fomula for $MFT(master file table) i found nothing ?

so my question is that  how i can reach this master file table  in -sparse.vmdk on my way so that i can complete my thesis and degree also..?

thanxs in advance

preux

199 Posts

May 28th, 2012 20:00

Interesting question, I heard VMDK is an open format, what format definition have you found from google?

2 Posts

May 28th, 2012 23:00

according to wikipedia

The format is a container for virtual hard disk drives to be used in virtual machines like VMware Workstation or Virtualbox. VMDK is an open format

but i m unable to find the specification according to my thesis .i just want the master files table which is stored in this vmdk so that i can show practically(in hexeditor )  the difference between the storage of these diiferent vmdk i.e. -sparse.vmdk and -flat.vmdk ?

i found $MFT in it by simple ctrl+F of hexeditor but i want to reach this $MFT logically..

No Events found!