Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

FW

April 11th, 2012 10:00

ASA problem

I have the latest software for the VNXe3100 and i can enable and set the pasword just fine in the VNXE3100 interface. The issue is when i try to enable the ASA either thru the VSI or Access Control utility it gives me the following error:

"Unable to Connect to the remote server. The ASA service might not be started on your datamovers."

I can add the VNXe3100 device just fine in the VSI plugin but i can not get the ASA to work with the VSI plugin. I have doubled checked everything i know of on the VNXe3100 but still no go.

Any Ideas on why it will not connect to the ASA?

98 Posts

April 11th, 2012 20:00

Which Code are you on for 2.2.0  ? , I am asking this because we did have some issue on the first release for MR2 for ASA and we have rectified that on MR2 SP0.1 - 2.2.0.17384. If this does not rectify the issue then we might have to check the connectivity , a power cycle can be tried as well, ASA is always up and running by default.

Also are we using ESX 5.0 ?

April 12th, 2012 05:00

I am using code 2.2.0.17384. I have not tried a power cycle as this VNXe is in production with many Virtual servers running on it and i cant dirupt that at this time. Is there a way of testing the ASA some how on the VNXe to see if it is working properly?

vCenter is version 5...ESX hosts are 4.1

Here are the errors i am getting when trying to add the ASA to Unified Storage Management:

2012-04-12 08:21:16,638 [7060] [VNXeAdd] ERROR EMC.Solutions.VMware.Unified.Engine.DhsmAdapter - System.Exception: Unable to connect to the remote server. The DHSM service might not be started on your datamovers.

2012-04-12 08:21:16,638 [7060] [VNXeAdd] ERROR EMC.Solutions.VMware.Unified.Engine.DhsmAdapter - System.Exception: Unable to connect to the remote server. The DHSM service might not be started on your datamovers.

2012-04-12 08:21:16,638 [7060] [VNXeAdd] ERROR EMC.Solutions.VMware.Unified.Engine.CredentialsController - Unable to connect to the remote server. The ASA service might not be started on your datamovers.

I know it has communications with that VNXe box because i can add the VNXe itself..only having issues with the ASA side.

98 Posts

April 12th, 2012 20:00

Can you try to disable and re-enable ASA once ?

This can be done from Settings > Shared Folder Server Settings > Disable Advanced Storage Access

This can also be done from the command line using the below command

uemcli /net/asa set -state Disabled

You can also check the status of the ASA from the command line using the below command

uemcli /net/asa show

If the state=EnabledPerHost or state=EnabledForAll then ASA is working correctly on the VNXe

Please note that version 5.2 or higher of the VSI Unified Storage Management application is required to utilize the ASA features

98 Posts

April 12th, 2012 20:00

Missed the commands to re-enable the ASA from command line , it is as below

Enable ASA for all Hosts

uemcli /net/asa set -state EnabledForALL -passwd

Enable ASA per Host

uemcli /net/asa set -state EnabledPerHost -passwd

If you choose to enable ASA on a per-host basis, you will have to do that from Unisphere, list of hosts from which you can enable ASA access. You can also create new hosts or subnets from this page.

You can grant access to additional hosts by viewing a host’s properties and selecting the Allow Access box. Newly created hosts will also present the ASA option as part of the configuration wizard.

April 13th, 2012 05:00

I have disabled the ASA and re-enabled it for ALL HOSTS. I run the command to check the status and it says "State = EnabledForAll". So looks good from that standpoint. I have the latest VSI 5.2 plug-in version as well. 

Still when atempting to add ASA thru the Access Control utility i get the error message i attached in the screen shot.

Error.JPG

Does ASA authentication work over port 443 as well or is it a different port? The management interface for the VNXe3100 is is a different vLan so there may be a port being blocked so i can access it from the vshpere client machine. Port 443 is open as i can browse to the management interface and use CLI but if ASA is using a different port then that might be my problem.

92 Posts

April 19th, 2012 06:00

FIshermc, I am having the same issue.  I have 2 VNXe and one is working for ASA while the other one is not (with the same error you see).  I do have a case with EMC open so once they get it figured out I will post whatever the fix is.

April 25th, 2012 05:00

rolltidega,

Just wondering if you have had any luck with EMC support on this yet?

3 Posts

May 14th, 2012 17:00

I have the same problem. So far, it looks like it is because the NFS network is not accessible from the client computer that is running vSphere.  I was expecting it to use the connection from the ESX host rather than the client computer. I also noticed a strange issue that the ASA setting is enabled for all hosts after trying to connect via the VSI plugin when it is disabled.  Can anyone who has been able to get this working confirm that they can also connect to the NFS network from the client computer running vSphere?

92 Posts

May 21st, 2012 17:00

fishermc, i still have emc looking into this one.  weird thing is that it works for one VNXe but not the other.

3 Posts

May 21st, 2012 18:00

rolltidega, are you able to access the storage network directly from the client computer that is running vSphere, or is your storage network on a private network that is only available to the vSphere hosts?

May 22nd, 2012 05:00

I know for a fact my client machine does not have access to the NFS vlan (Only the vsphere hosts have access to that vlan)...my client machine only has access to the administration portion of the EMC device. I can see where this may be the problem, it makes sense. I am going to try to test it with access to the NFS vlan here soon to see if that resolves my issue and will update with results.

92 Posts

May 22nd, 2012 08:00

My storage network is on a private network only available to the vSphere hosts.  I understand where that could be an issue but it does not explain why it works for one VNXe but not the other.  Hopefully support and I will get it figured out soon.

3 Posts

May 22nd, 2012 12:00

rolltidega, are you saying that it is working on a client that does not have access to the private storage network?

92 Posts

May 22nd, 2012 12:00

Yea that is exactly what I am saying.

No Events found!