Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2014 12:00

Are HotSpares required for Raid 6?

Hi all, can someone help me out.  I've noticed a trend where folks would rather not keep a hotspare for drives configured in Raid 6.  What is the best practice in this case?

Thanks

Gabe

24 Posts

Fair enough.  I don't mind allocating the hotspares, just wanted to make sure i've been keeping pace.  I've seen the change on the VNXe.  when setting up RAID 6, on that platform the hotspares are not allocated for R6.  It's just not an option.  That is why i ask.

thanks for your response!          

24 Posts

If you consider that a Raid 5 raid group has no better protection than the parity and likely a single hotspare given a small to medium configuration, it seems reasonable to think this way.      

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

are you willing to take a chance that CE will be onsite to replace "potentially" 2 failed drives before the 3rd one goes out and you lose data ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

definitely need hot spares, what happens when drive 3 fails in raid-6 RG ?

24 Posts

April 1st, 2014 13:00

True enough, I intended to state that I would leave them unallocated. Nice update in 33 code

Gabe Heinisch

919-280-7112

24 Posts

True, allocating the drives did prevent people from doing regrettable things. At the end of the day it comes down to training, ownership and proper turnover.

Gabe Heinisch

919-280-7112

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

on VNX2 you don't "allocate" them per say, but you do "reserve"  them, basically you leave disks unbound so they can be used as a hot spare (granted they meet the requirements to spare for that specific drive type). There is a good section in the paper that goes over the new hot sparing rules in VNX2. New to me as well

1 Attachment

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

honestly i have mixed feelings about this. Probably not a big deal in small shops but in big shops where you have a lot of admins, someone would find unbound drives and go "Hey, i need this raid 1/0 RG, i just found 4 unbound drives ..perfect". Yes Unisphere will generate an alert in the GUI but how often do people not pay attention to those alerts, HS are not even listed as critical ..in my opinion they should be.

No Events found!