Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 7th, 2015 04:00

Ask about file level and block level deduplication

Hi All,

I wanna ask quick questions, what's better file level deduplication or block level deduplication then I create filesystem over deduped LUN?...Thank you

32 Posts

August 7th, 2015 05:00

Hello,

do not use block deduplication or compression for file LUNs. In the past any type of thin LUNs (a LUN with active block deduplication is converted to a thin LUN) were not supported for VNX File. I am not sure if this has changed in the meantime, but it is still highly recommended not to do it.

Take a look the VNX Performance Best Practise Paper:

VNXFilePerf.JPG.jpg

https://www.emc.com/collateral/software/white-papers/h10938-vnx-best-practices-wp.pdf

Bye

Robert

40 Posts

August 7th, 2015 04:00

Good Day.

Enclosing a document which should provide you the answers you seek.

This was published in March this year, but I downloaded a copy today just to make certain there was no update.

Best Wishes.

1 Attachment

130 Posts

August 7th, 2015 05:00

Support for thin LUNs on file is coming very soon.  This will allow us to introduce block level deduplication for file LUNs, as well as some other new features for file that require thin LUNs.  There will be updates to both the "EMC VNX2 Deduplication and Compression" and "Virtual Provisioning for the EMC VNX2 Series" white papers next week, so be on the look out for those.

There will also be an update to the "EMC VNX2 Unified Best Practices for Performance" white paper in the near future.

40 Posts

August 7th, 2015 09:00

If it is not too much to ask, can you please share the File Code level your system is using?

8 Posts

Many thanks for your input, so I decided to use file level deduplication...Thank you all for help

8 Posts

It's vnx 5400 with 05.33 but I'm not remember the minor patch version....

40 Posts

Thank you for the response.  Good enough.

You are good to go.

Best Wishes and have a great weekend.

No Events found!