Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2015 13:00

Ask the Expert: The New EMC VNXe1600 – Best Practice, Technical Configurations, Features and Benefits

Welcome to our Ask the Expert conversation.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: How can we improve your VNX product documentation experience?

Ask the Expert: VNXe Installs and Upgrades on the New MR4 - 2.4.0.20932 Release

https://community.emc.com/thread/169775

The VNXe1600™ is the latest member of EMC’s entry level portfolio. It’s based on the acclaimed EMC VNXe3200™ and purpose-built for price sensitive SMB and ROBO markets as well as smaller department or workgroup environments.

During this Ask the Expert conversation you'll be able to directly engage with our SMEs, ask your technical questions and learn how the VNXe1600 – and other EMC entry level solutions – can be integrated in your small business/application environment.

Learn more about the architecture and functionality of the EMC VNXe1600 on this white paper: https://www.emc.com/collateral/white-papers/h14385-introduction-vnxe1600-wp.pdf

Watch this video for a demo on the Initial Configuration of the EMC VNXe1600

Meet Your Experts:

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=11672&size=350

Joe Catalanotti

Consultant Product Marketing Manager - EMC Core Technologies, VNX

Joe Catalanotti is a Product Marketing Manager with the EMC Core Technologies Division focused on VNX storage products and solutions. He has over 25 years of product and channel marketing experience in storage hardware/software, asset management, and CAD technology. Joe has been instrumental in the development and execution of go-to-market plans, product launches, and other facets of product marketing. Joe holds a BS degree in Industrial Engineering and Management (Sigma Epsilon Rho) from Northeastern University as well as a degree in Architecture from Wentworth Institute of Technology.

Steve.Spataro.jpg Steve Spataro

Technical Marketing Manager - EMC Core Technologies, VNX

In his role as Worldwide Technical Marketing Manager, Steve is a subject matter expert on the VNX Family of products and his focus is the SE community. He presents the technical aspects of the VNX Family to EMC clients and Partners in the Executive Briefing Centers and at Industry & Partner events. Secondarily, Steve also presents on VMAX3 and the other EMC Core Technologies products. Steve has been with EMC for 15+ years and is based at EMC’s Hopkinton, Massachusetts corporate headquarters.

Steve.PNG.png Dan Murphy

Consultant Product Manager - EMC Core Technologies, VNX

In his role as platform product manager, Dan is a subject matter expert on the VNX and VNXe family of products and his focus is on the hardware platforms. Dan has been with EMC for 12+ years and is based at EMC’s Hopkinton, Massachusetts corporate headquarters.

This discussion takes place from Oct. 19th to the 30th. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for e-mail notifications.

Share this event on Twitter or LinkedIn:

>> Ask the Expert: VNXe1600 – Best Practice, Technical Configurations, Features and Benefits http://bit.ly/1RKWHpV #EMCATE <<

2 Intern

• 

718 Posts

October 19th, 2015 06:00

This Ask the Expert session is now open for questions. For the next couple of weeks our Subject Matter Experts will be around to reply to your questions, comments or inquiries about our topic.

Let’s make this conversation useful, respectful and entertaining for all. Enjoy!

October 19th, 2015 06:00

Hi

The first 4 drives in the VNXe1600, the whitepaper says they contain important system information.  Are they similar to the Vault drives on the VNX2 family, in that there is space reserved on them for the system software?  Should we direct customers towards not using those drives for data?

Thanks

Chris

25 Posts

October 20th, 2015 05:00

Hi Chris,

Yes we offer an initial 6 drive pack for customers to start with. The system information is typically on 4 of them similar as you say with VNX2 systems. However, there are no restrictions preventing you from using them as data drives as well.

2 Intern

• 

718 Posts

October 21st, 2015 11:00

Hi experts,

Some are saying this product compares to products like HP MSA and others. How does this product stands out from the competition?

25 Posts

October 22nd, 2015 05:00

The VNXe1600 is a block-only storage array and is positioned against other block-only systems in its class. Products like MSA have similar capacity and performance to VNXe1600, but lack one or more of the VNXe1600 key features. The MSA 1040, in particular, is a less capable product compared with VNXe1600, with limited IO flexibility, lower drive limits and lacking flash drive support. Products such as HP MSA 2040 & Lenovo S3200/S2200 Class, the Dot Hill-based systems from HP and Lenovo lack the mature ease-of-use features and VMware integration found in the VNXe1600 and have limited pool storage configuration and management capabilities - for example, they support only one storage pool per controller. Other VNXe1600 differentiators include:

Max. Drive Support – VNXe1600 supports up to 200 drives in mixed 2.5 Inch/3.5 Inch configurations while HP MSA, IBM V3700 and Lenovo support only half as many LFF drives compared with 2.5 Inch SFF support

Host Interfaces – VNXe1600 combines CNA on-board ports along with an I/O expansion slot for multi-protocol supports with a wide variety of interface types.

SSD Extended Cache – FAST Cache provides easy-to-implement flash support compared with IBM (Easy Tier only) or Dell (no cache to SSD).  Unlike the HP and Lenovo SSD cache capability, FAST Cache is both read and write, and is mirrored to avoid performance impact from a cache drive failure.

25 Posts

October 22nd, 2015 13:00

Hi Chris,

I wanted to be a little more specific in my reply relating to the drive question on the VNXe1600. The first 4 drives (slots 0-3) have <100GB each reserved for private space. The rest of the capacity on these 4 drives is available for customer use / data. The system pack contains these 4 drives plus 2 more so you can create a 4+1 RAID group with a single hot spare.

Community Manager

• 

5.1K Posts

October 28th, 2015 00:00

Hi experts,

Can you let us know whether the embedded 16Gb FC I/O port supports 2/4/8/16 Gb with auto-negotiation?

I believe they do but let me confirm it since I couldn't find any info about it in any documents...

195 Posts

October 28th, 2015 11:00

Regarding FC ports.  I wanted to offer the generic answer that by FC standards, any FC  optical module can support two speeds below its maximum.

So a 16Gb port can support 8Gb and 4Gb, but not 2Gb.

As a storage admin, I have never considered this a significant limitation.  What it really means is that you can't direct connect to a 2Gb port; and you could *probably* do that if you switched the 16Gb SFP for an 8Gb one.

However:

If are still running 2Gb HBAs, they would work with an 8Gb switch, as would the 16Gb storage port.

If you are still running 2Gb switches...well, you really shouldn't be.  8Gb switches can be obtained at very reasonable prices per port.

Community Manager

• 

5.1K Posts

October 28th, 2015 18:00

Hi Zaphod-san,

Thank you for the reply. I understand it.

I am not planning to use 2Gb switches. So, it is not a problem at all.

Thank you!

25 Posts

October 29th, 2015 05:00

The embedded 16Gb FC on the VNXe1600 auto negotiates to 8Gb or 4Gb FC.  It does not support older 2Gb FC. Hope this helps.

Community Manager

• 

5.1K Posts

October 30th, 2015 04:00

It does help!

Now, I have more confidence. Thank you, Joe-san.

2 Intern

• 

718 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 05:00

This Ask the Expert event has officially ended, but don't let that retract you from asking more questions. At this point our SME are still welcomed to answer and continue the discussion though not required. Here is where we ask our community members to chime in and assist other users if they're able to provide information.

Many thanks to our SMEs who selflessly made themselves available to answer questions. We also appreciate our users for taking part of the discussion and ask so many interesting questions.

ATE events are made for your benefit as members of ECN. If you’re interested in pitching a topic or Subject Matter Experts we would be interested in hearing it. To learn more on what it takes to start an event please visit our Ask the Expert Program Space on ECN.

No Events found!