Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2017 00:00

Best practice creating Raid Group or pool, ESXI 6.5 And EMC VNX 5200?

Hello All

Drawing1.jpg

It's my Sans And ESXis arrangement for Vsphere HA and EMC 5200 MCX most performance.

Should I create Raid group and then create a LUN assigned to it or I must create a pool and assign the LUN as thin or thick to it.

is this raid group a classic raid group? if it is, then will I benefit from symmetric active\active as mentioned in vnx2 series documents.

for example: will two sp1 links to ESXi act symmetric or one is optimized and another not optimized path?

at some documents wrote that just raid group is symmetric active\active but a pool is asymmetric active\active, I confused, because when I create a LUN for raid group still it has an owner, then one path must be not optimized?

For now,  I don't have any flash or SDD, just I own 10 K SAS HDDs.

I will be thankful for any suggestion, after this I want to have HA on both ESXIs. as vcenter can use VMotion in case one of the ESXIs failed.

For me always performance has a higher stage than sooner availability in case of some when disaster.

But of course, I  need to don't lose data.

Any other Arrangement Will be appreciable if suggested.

Any Post that I can read also will help me.

Thank You All.

14.3K Posts

October 10th, 2017 02:00

Please move your question to VNX section of the forum - this here is general DECN discussion area about DECN so you won't reach target audience here.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 7th, 2017 07:00

use pools as they can be easily expanded, versus dealing with traditional raid groups. We provision thick LUNs on VNX and let VMware guys use thin provisioning on their side.  As far as i remember symmetrix active/active applied to traditional raid groups LUN only, not pool LUNs.

6 Posts

November 7th, 2017 22:00

Dear dynamox.

Thank you for your reply, I have SQL databases that store Org Data. because of some limitations, I don't have SSDs to run FAST But maybe I can buy. Can I put my virtual machines on thick LUN  and put the SQL Databases on traditional raid groups if I don't plan to increase the size of the LUN because I reached the maximum number of hard drives on my VNX 5200 DPE.

I meant will I really get better performance of setting up traditional raid groups for SQL databases on EMC5200 ? is it touchable or it's just on paper. Or as you mentioned is it better I just set Thick LUNS.and will I benefit from putting some SSDS and enable FAST on pools.

Is FAST enabled pool with Thick LUN performance equal than Traditional Raid Group.

and can I change lower capacity HDD with Higher Capacity HDD in pools without refreshing all Settings?

Thanks a lot for your fast and beneficial reply.

4.5K Posts

November 15th, 2017 13:00

I would recommend that you review the following White Paper is you're planning on SQL implementation:

docu50157_White-Paper--Microsoft-SQL-Server-Best-Practices-and-Design-Guidelines-for-EMC-Storage-EMC-VNX-Family,-EMC-Symmetrix-VMAX-Systems,-EMC-Xtrem-Server-Products.pdf

glen

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2017 00:00

Thank you, glen

I am reading the pdf, really helpful.

Best regards

Mohsen

No Events found!