Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2013 14:00

CIFS Server rename process

I've found the steps to rename a CIFS server on my VNX5700, but have some questions regarding the commands.
In the example below:

Would I use "server_2" or the VDM name "VDM01"

admin=Administrator, is this the admin the domain or the VNX?

Any help would be appreciated...

Rename a compname:

This procedure renames a Windows Server Data Mover while preserving local groups, shares, and file system permissions for the new name. In this example nas01 is renamed nas02.

1. To unjoin the original compname from the domain, type:

$ server_cifs server_2 -Unjoin compname=nas01,domain=abc.com,admin=Administrator

2. To delete the compname from the CIFS configuration of the Data Mover, type:

$ server_cifs server_2 -delete compname=nas01

3. To add the compname back to the CIFS configuration of the Data Mover as a NetBIOS
name, type:

$ server_cifs server_2 -add netbios=nas01,domain=abc,interface=fsn0

4. To rename the NetBIOS server to the new name, type:

$ server_cifs server_2 -rename netbios nas01 nas02

5. To delete the renamed NetBIOS name from step 4. from the CIFS configuration of the
Data Mover, type:

$ server_cifs server_2 -delete netbios=nas02

6. To add the new compname to the CIFS configuration and active directory (AD) domain,
type:

$ server_cifs server_2 -add compname=nas02,domain=abc.com,interface=fsn0

7. To join the new compname to the CIFS configuration and active directory (AD) domain,
type:

$ server_cifs server_2 -Join compname=nas02,domain=abc.com,admin=Administrator

October 2nd, 2013 22:00

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and can go unanswered for a long time.

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "VNX Support Forum".

I can see that you found the correct KB article:

emc156835: "Procedure for renaming a Windows 2000/2003 Data Mover while preserving localgroups, shares, and file system permissions."

Pedro5640 wrote:

Would I use "server_2" or the VDM name "VDM01"

1) Yes, the procedure can be used also for CIFS servers that reside in VDM's

You are absolutely correct in your assumption that the procedure demonstrated is for a CIFS server that is on the physical data mover.  For a CIFS Server on a VDM, you would change *all* instances of the commands

TO: VDM01

Therefore, step 1 would be rewritten in the example given (only change is in red):

$ server_cifs VMD01 -Unjoin compname=nas01,domain=abc.com,admin=Administrator

Pedro5640 wrote:

admin=Administrator, is this the admin the domain or the VNX?

That would be for the domain Administrator account or more specifically a domain account that has the ability to -Join and -Unjoin machines to/from AD (no different than say a workstation that you join and remove from AD).  You would then be prompted separately for the password.

The best advice anyone can give in regards to this procedure is:

1) Test and rehearse (more than once) first on a test CIFS server. 

Create an interface, VDM, CIFS server, file system, share, etc.  Then run through the process more than once.

2) Script it ahead of time

While I'm sure you already planned to, but you should only be copying and pasting maybe and not manually typing out the commands as you go during the scheduled window

2 Posts

October 18th, 2013 10:00

Christopher,

Your procedure worked perfectly...I especially like the "test" procedure you suggested...I created a test CIFS server on both devices, and worked out the kinks...Excellent support...Thanks...

Pedro5640 wrote:

I've found the steps to rename a CIFS server on my VNX5700, but have some questions regarding the commands.  In the example below:  Would I use "server_2" or the VDM name "VDM01"…

October 18th, 2013 17:00

Thanks for the update.  Awesome job and I'm glad to hear it worked out for you.

One other recommendation I sometimes make is also to not try to understand the process as people sometimes get hung up on how things are being done in the manner and order they are.  Yes, I know we are all geeks and enjoy learning why, but this might be one where you accept the process at face-value to get through it.  Just saying ...

btw, as an exercise for the reader, while the KB article provides the steps via CLI, the process can be performed via the GUI also.

No Events found!