Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2015 22:00

Can't reset VNXe3100 admin password

Capture.PNG.pngHi All,

I have a problem that is starting to drive me crazy.

We have a VNXe3100, that is working fine, has had more disks added, and I need to login to the admin interface to configure them.

Unfortunately, no one has logged into it in some time, and the admin credentials we have documented seem to be wrong.

I've gone ahead and pressed the password reset button on the back of one of the controllers, and logged into the gui ok with admin/Password123#

The first thing it does is bring up a window asking me to change the password, that is put in  and once ok is clicked, displays "Configuring new passwords"

and there it stays. Forever...

Now, even though it doesn't change the admin password, it DOES change the service password, as I can then SSH into it using the new credentials for the service account.

I noticed that the red asterisks next to the service account old and new password fields disappear a few seconds after hitting OK, but don't do so for the admin account.

I tried to change the admin password using the UEMCLI, but it just says "You have to change the administrator password in order to perform this action"

Short of completely initializing the system back to factory defaults and losing 5TB of data, is there a way to get around it ?

(maybe the config file on a USB stick used to manually reset the ip address ? )

Cheers

July 21st, 2015 00:00

Ok, so the problem is now fixed.

We discovered the SAN has premium support with EMC, so logged a support call.

An Engineer remoted into the service shell, and gave himself root access (disabled by default)

There was a password persistence file missing, called c4_2_1_UIS_adminPasswordSet.

Once this file was recreated, both passwords were reset back to defaults and we could then login.

This bug and the symptoms we were having are described exactly in KB article 92448, but as  this article's audience is Employees and Partners only, we would never have found it..

Thanks for everyone's help anyway

July 10th, 2015 02:00

Hi Replicator,

Please have a look on the below mentioned article:

Thanks

Jyothi

July 10th, 2015 06:00

Hi Jyothi,

Thanks fore the reply - If I click on the link and attempt to login, the below error comes up

Capture.PNG.png

July 10th, 2015 07:00

Hi Replicator,

Please check this:

How to reset service password and admin password?
Error message: You have been denied access to the system. (Error Code:0x6000001f)
Product: VNXe Series
Product: VNXe 3100
Product: VNXe 3150
Product: VNXe 3300
The wrong password was supplied or you lost the password.
Follow these steps:
  1. On the back of the disk processor enclosure, locate the password reset button on either Storage Processor. It's located in a small hole and label below shows 'two triangles pointing at each other'.
  2. Using a pen or a paper clip or similar blunt object, press and hold the password reset button (approximately 1 to 2 seconds) until the fault LED flashes blue. You only need to press the button on one of the storage processors (SPs). Approximately two minutes later, the Fault LED turns steady blue.
    • Be careful !!  Pressing the reset button for more than 10 seconds will reset (reboot) the storage processor.
  3. Connect to VNXe using a browser and logon as admin with default password. The default password for admin account is set to Password123# and for service account is service .  After logging in you will be prompted  to reset the default passwords for the admin and service accounts.
Note: This procedure changes the password for both admin and service accounts. If you already know the password and want to change:
  • Admin account:

Settings > More Configuration.. > Manage Administration > select admin and click on reset password.
  • Service account:

Settings > Service System > click on change service password and Execute service action.

OR you can also use svc_service_password from an SSH session.

July 11th, 2015 01:00

Hi again Jyothi,

I've already run that procedure maybe 4 times on 3 different machines with 3 different browsers, and all give the same result:

they get stuck at "configuring new passwords". The procedure partly works in that the service password does reset, but not the admin password.

Is there a way to reset the admin password from within an SSH session, using a similar command to svc_service_password ?

After doing a search I can see 1 or 2 other people have had the same problem, but there never seemed to be a resolution.

4.5K Posts

July 13th, 2015 07:00

I looked up some of the recent cases for this issue and found one that may help. If this does not resolve your issue, you might want to open a case with EMC and reference the KB article number you used and that it did not work.

---------------------------------------

We performed following activities to resolve this issue.

Reset service password and admin password by serially connected to the array.

Able to login putty session using service password and informed to customer that we need to use admin and Password123# for login to Unisphere Console.

Checked ECOM Services not running because of that we were not able to login to the Unipshere console.

Hence restarted the management services to make all services to run using putty session.

Able to logged into the array successfully and changed default credential for unisphere.

Informed customer that we can get the detail about the contract information by going into below path:

The Path: Setting >More Configuration >Manage Support Contracts and Now customer able to access the Unisphere without issue.

--------------------------------------------

glen

July 19th, 2015 18:00

Hi Glen,

Thanks for the reply - would a Cisco console cable be compatible with the serial port on the rear of the controllers, and are there any special or undocumented commands to reset the admin password once in the shell ?

Murray

8.6K Posts

March 14th, 2018 08:00

root is only available for advanced support - and it not just a simple password.

IF you have an action that requires root please open a service request

Usually the service account is enough

March 14th, 2018 08:00

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Don't you have more information about how to get root access (su - requires a password known by no one) and this c4_2_1_UIS_adminPasswordSet file please?

2 Posts

September 17th, 2019 20:00

So, without a service contract, my device is bricked?  It is not valuable enough to be worth buying a contract.  Shame to have to throw it in the recycle bin due to a bug or lack of one little file.  Can someone have pity on me?

Thanks

No Events found!