Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2013 12:00

Celerra help running a perl script on control station

I am trying to collect performance data on an Celerra using Mitrend. I'm not very familiar with running scripts and the instructions for collecting the data are as follows below. I've placed the files on the Control Station (wasn't sure if they needed to be placed in particular directory) but not sure how to execute the scripts. I have no pearl experience and limited experience with executing command on a Celerra. Can someone walk me through how to run the commands below to collect the data required for the performance analaysis?

VNX File - Celerra (Pilot)

Step 1: Execute the collect-perfdata.pl script first on the VNX File / Celerra control station:

• perl collect-perfdata.pl

Step 2: Execute the collect.pl script, which will collect the performance data plus additional configuration data

• perl collect.pl

Step 3: Submit the results of the collect.pl script. Do not submit just the support materials or perfdata by itself. We require both results to generate an assessment.

Thank You

Terry

June 18th, 2014 07:00

I am able to get this running but I am curious does the collect-perf.pl turn collection on?   So do I need to run that then wait to run the collect.pl until a reasonable amount of time has past?   Also does the collect.pl turn the performance data collection off?  I ran them more or less back to back and only ended up collecting 4 intervals in the data that was collected.  Does anyone know for sure how it works?

June 18th, 2014 08:00

Just found the answer.  By default the collect-perf.pl runs for 2 days. 

300 second intervals (5 minutes) for 576 intervals (2 days)

July 8th, 2014 09:00

When running collect-perf.pl, make sure to keep your ssh terminal open. Otherwise the script will terminate when you close the ssh window.

You may also be able to nohup the command, to prevent it from terminating.

Contact us at feedback@mitrend.com for more information.

- Paul

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 18th, 2014 12:00

I use WINSCP to upload the files to the control station, then i use PUTTY to connect and run the commands.

1.2K Posts

January 18th, 2016 13:00

No.  You only call nohup ahead of the command you wish to run.  You might need to use "./" in front of the command you're trying to run, because most likely it is not in the local path.  Here's an example:

[nasadmin@vnxtest ~]$ cd /home/

[nasadmin@vnxtest ~]$ ./mailtest.pl nohup &

[1] 11782

Without the ./, I get:

[nasadmin@vnxtest ~]$ mailtest.pl nohup &

[1] 13358

bash: mailtest.pl: command not found

I would bet that running the command the way you specified has no output in the nohup.out file.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 18th, 2016 13:00

Guys a quick question if I run the command with nohup perl collect-perfdata.pl the command does not execute and gives an error no shuch command found

However if I run it as perl collect-perfdata.pl nohup I am able to execute the command. Would this still work the same way with nohup at the end instead of at the start?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 20th, 2016 06:00

Thanks for the reply Karl. The putty session did close, however the data collection did not stop. So I guess I could achieve what I wanted to.

I however have another problem while trying to retrieve the logs from the control station.

When I run perl collect.pl --full --outputdir /your_local_output_directory

I get the below error.. Any input is appreciated.

Regards,

Abhijat M. Indulkar

Solution Architect - EMC Professional Services

Mobile :- +91 9920690059

Email :- abhijat.indulkar@emc.com

Office : +1 800 782 4362 Ext 775-1559

www.emc.com

Training Alert :

Vacation Alert :

1 Attachment

1.2K Posts

January 20th, 2016 07:00

You're trying to write to your local workstation hard drive (C:\ drive).  This won't work.  You have to write the file to the local filesystem on the Control Station (for example, /tmp or /home/nasadmin), then move the file via FTP, SFTP or SCP to your local workstation.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 20th, 2016 08:00

Exactly what I tried now created a directory called outputs under home/nasadmin

I am logged in as nasadmin..

This is what I get

2 Attachments

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 20th, 2016 12:00

Its worked. I verified there was an extra space that caused an issue its all well now. Thanks much for your help. Appreciate it.

Regards,

Abhijat M. Indulkar

Solution Architect - EMC Professional Services

Mobile :- +91 9920690059

Email :- abhijat.indulkar@emc.com

Office : +1 800 782 4362 Ext 775-1559

www.emc.com

Training Alert :

Vacation Alert :

1.2K Posts

January 20th, 2016 12:00

Actually, that output looks correct to me.  Did you look inside the outputs folder?

No Events found!