Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2016 12:00

Create a Lun for a VMware VM

Hi gurus

as you can see from my title I am very new and start to learn about this storage platform , so go easy on me while I learn.

so my question is as follow:

I have thre ESXi host and I can see that when I created a LUN this was available to the Vcenter cluster , but I have a question, Is it posible to create a LUN and just assign that LUN to a VMware Virtual machine( Like a Volume on equallogic) and that only that VM can see and storage information?

Thanks for YOUR patience and time

8.6K Posts

November 22nd, 2016 15:00

yes for example with RDM

I would suggest to start with basic VMware training and manuals available from vmware.com

EMC also has a free TechBook called "Using VNX Storage with VMware vSphere" for download

14 Posts

November 22nd, 2016 17:00

R_E

Thanks a bunch for jumping in and point to the right direction, actually I know how to add an RDM but utilizing Equallogic, I just don't know the steps to create the same, utilizing EMC.

Thanks a bunch again

December 21st, 2016 12:00

Is the same way that with an equallogic.

You have to create the LUN and mask it to the VMware Cluster, don't format that LUN with VMFS, edit the settings for the VM and add a RDM disk. If you want to use it for a cluster accross boxes, remember that you have to change the configuration for the disk controller to shared.

Francisco

No Events found!