Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2012 15:00

Define Read-Only Access

Hi

I've inherited a system where Veeam is used to backup the VMs that reside on our VNXe based SAN.  My concern lies in the fact that the Windows 2008 server that is being used to run Veeam is connecting directly to the SAN with full access.  There doesn't seem to be an option in the VNXe Unisphere software that can be used to define read-only access for this host.

My questions:

Can I infact define read-only access in Unisphere?

Can the Microsoft iSCSI initiator be set to read-only?

Am I missing something here?

It has been running without any problem for about a month, but that doesn't give me any comfort

Thanks

45 Posts

April 17th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

There is no option to give read only access to iSCSI disks from the unisphere GUI.

If you are using Veeam V5 and later setup automatically disables the automount feature of Windows. Automount allows for automatically mounting and assigning configuration to newly connected volumes.

The filesystem corruption only happens when you try and initialize or format the LUN which would overwrite anyfilesystem to NTFS.

Regards,

Sri

5 Posts

April 17th, 2012 18:00

Thanks for the reply, I would have considered the ability to define read-only access very elementary and hardly a feature to be left out.  Would this become an option in later releases, it could be the sort of thing that prevents simple accidents.

Regards

Stu

39 Posts

May 10th, 2012 07:00

Product management has noted the request and specific use cases.  It is being reviewed and prioritized for a future release

15 Posts

July 8th, 2013 09:00

Has anything been changed to make a LUN read-only from VNXe end? Kindly let me know if there is a way to make a LUN read-only via GUI/CLI.

Thank you!

No Events found!