Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2012 09:00

Drives in Disk Manager show up as Unknown and Unallocated when connecting to SAN via iSCSI

Here is our setup:

HP BL365 G7 running Windows 2008 R2 SP1 connected to two sans:

1. EMC CX4 via Fiber

2. EMC VNX5300 via iSCSI

We currently have 4 servers in a Hyper-V failover cluster. We are migrating from our older CX4 to a newer VNX5300. The four servers are successfully connected to both and migrations between the two SANs works fine. We need to add a 5th server to the cluster. We did a new installation of 2008 R2 SP1 on our blade and connected it via Fiber to the CX4 and iSCSI to the VNX5300.

All of the drives on the CX4 show up properly: they are "offline" but show they have a simple volume on them (they are blue). This means that it can see the partition on them but they are offline because the drives are part of a failover cluster and this server doesn't own any of the drives.

All of the drives on the VNX5300 show up but not properly: they are all "unknown," "offline," and they show up as "unallocated."  The server doesn't recognize any of the volumes on them and if you were to try to bring them "online," you get an error saying, "The device is not ready."

All machines have EMC Powerpath installed on them for Multipath management and have the Navisphere agent installed.

We have set these machines up in the same manner and this is the second machine that is giving me this issue (I ruled out hardware issues by getting a second blade and trying it again).  I'm sure there is a configuration setting somewhere that I'm missing, but at this point I'm stuck.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Jeff

August 6th, 2012 07:00

Anyone?

127 Posts

August 6th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

Ensure that newly added host connections are shown in connectivity status of Unisphere and their status should show as Logged In and Registered (YES and YES)

Since you are using Powerpath, Check if the MPIO is enabled on the Windows 2008, if it is enabled. Disable that.

Check if the proper drivers for iSCSI card is installed and cluster configuration is correct.

From the Windows host, Go to Device Manager > Disk Drives, Check if you can see the CLARiiON drives (DGC....)

Thanks

Madhu

138 Posts

August 6th, 2012 08:00

You've posted your query in VNXe forum for VNX product. I'm moving it to VNX Support forum for better response.

August 6th, 2012 09:00

Madhu,

MPIO is installed but it was installed and configured by the Unisphere Agent (when installing the agent it installed the feature). I was informed that the newest agent uses MPIO on it's backend.

The host agent did successfully connect and register in Unisphere and according to the iSCSI initatior and on the SAN, all connections are connected.

The newest drivers and firmware has been installed on the server.

As for the drives, they all show up as DGC RAID 5 Multi-Path Disk Device so I believe this is also correct. The strange thing is that all of the drives are showing up in Disk Management and as single disks (hence MPIO is working) but for some reason the server can't see the partitions/volumes on them

65 Posts

October 8th, 2015 00:00

How to clear the Unknown disks that are appeared on the Disk Management console.

1. Right click the unknown disk and click properties à click on drivers tab and click on disable.

8.JPG.jpg

No Events found!