Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 13th, 2012 08:00

Enable NFSV4 on datamover

I have enable nfsv4 on one of our datamovers. There are already some existing file systems with v3.  Does this nfsv4 changes affects the existing file systems. Because, Some clients informed me that ownership on the file systems changed from root to some unknown numbers and they couldn't change the permissions. They can able to perform write and touch.

Thank you

57 Posts

July 16th, 2012 05:00

Hello

Please check emc176444 this has steps to implement NFS v4. Please make sure that the implementation is done successfully.

Thanks

Samir

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 16th, 2012 21:00

"What steps are needed to implement NFSv4 on Celerra"
spacer
  spacerspacerspacer
ID: emc176444
Usage: 50
Date Created: 12/21/2007
Last Modified: 01/11/2011
Audience: Customer
Knowledgebase Solution

Question: How to use NFSv4 from a UNIX client
Question: What steps are needed to implement NFSv4 on Celerra?
Environment: Product: Celerra
Environment: EMC SW: NAS Code 5.5 and later
Environment: Protocol: Network File System (NFSv4)
Fix: Four steps are needed to implement NFSv4 on Celerra.  These steps are documented in detail in the manuals Configuring NFS on Celerra and Configuring Celerra Naming Services, which can be found on powerlink.emc.com or on the Documentation CD which came with your NAS code.  Reading these manuals would be useful even if NFSv4 is successfully setup with these steps.
  1. Enable a name mapping method on the Data Mover.  This can be done with three methods: local passwd and group files, NIS or LDAP.  The last two are preferred since passwd files have to be maintained.  Setting these up is more thoroughly documented in the Configuring Celerra Naming Services manual. A mapping method is necessary because NFSv4 uses names in ACLs instead of UNIX UIDs and GIDs.
  2. Enable the NFSv4 service.

The file that needs editing varies by nas code.  The files will reside in /nas/server/slot_x, where x is the number of the slot in the DataMover
    In DART 5.5 and 5.6 codes, this is done by editing /nas/servers/slot_x/netd

Find a line which reads:
    nfs start openfiles=240000 nfsd=256

Change it to read:

nfs start openfiles=240000 nfsd=256 hivers=4

Reboot the Data Mover.

In DART 6.0 and above, this is done by editing /nas/server/slot_x/config:
    nfs config

Change it to read:

nfs config hivers=4

Reboot the Data Mover.
  3. Setup the NFSv4 domain on the Data Mover.  Find the NFSv4 domain of your client.  On Solaris, it is set in /etc/default/nfs:

NFSMAPID_DOMAIN=europe.local

If this is not present or commented out, then the name is the same as your DNS search domain in /etc/resolv.conf. Set the Data Mover NFSv4 domain to be the same as it is set on the client:

server_param server_x -f nfsv4 -m domain -v europe.local

4. For ACL support, set the file system access policy to MIXED.  This can be done non-disruptively.

To enable ACL support, use the command:

server_mount server_2 -o accesspolicy=MIXED FsName /MountPoint

After, the filesystem needs to be translated so permissions would be appropriate for a MIXED filesystem.  This can be done non-disruptively with the command:

nas_fs -translate FsName -access_policy start -to MIXED -from NATIVE
Notes: There are several known issues with NFSv4. Be aware of these solutions:
  • emc175295 -- "ACE records fail to inherit when inheritance is set on a directory from NFSv4"
  • emc173549 -- "Cannot set ACLs for Linux Clients using NFSv4"
  • emc173435 -- "Poor performance using NFS v4 with LDAP"
  • emc179730 -- "NFSv4 Internationalization problems"

spacer

416 Posts

July 16th, 2012 21:00

hello

i can not find out emc176444.

can you shere emc176444????

June 6th, 2016 15:00

Sorry to bring up this old discussion but I think the main question is not solved. There is a lot of documentation regarding how to enable and configure NFSv4 but I haven't found anything regarding what will happen if NFSv4 is configured and enabled in an environment where several CIFS and NFSv3 clients are already in place. I need to enable NFSv4 in an environment with around 30 file systems which are NFSv3 and NFSv4 is required for only two of those file systems. However I don't know if all the environment will be affected by enabling NFSv4 and LDAP on this data mover.

No Events found!