Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 31st, 2012 08:00

How do you configure standalone USM and/or Unisphere client for consistant login on VPN?

Seems that anytime I attempt to login to Unisphere Client after the initial install, and reboot, the browser sits on "Starting Services", and never launches Unisphere.

Is this due to VPN and the changing IP address? I use 127.0.0.1 as the IP address.

Thank you,

4 Posts

November 30th, 2013 05:00

Have the same issue, does anyone knows how to solve it?

Thank you in advance.

December 2nd, 2013 15:00

Yes, I believe it is related to the VPN.  Can you run the following command:

echo %NAVISPHERE_IPADDRESS%

Which IP did it bind to?

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2013 23:00

Hi Christopher,

C:\Users\ustine>echo %NAVISPHERE_IPADDRESS%

I thought that here is the problem with domain settings, but I created also a local user and it's the same...

December 3rd, 2013 00:00

Are you running a Unisphere 1.2 environment?  You can confirm via the following environment variable:

echo %MANAGEMENTSERVER_REVISION%

Can you go to the /setup page?

https://127.0.0.1/setup

After you login, can you confirm that the "IP to listen on:" is the assigned IP of the (logical) VPN adapter and if not, change it and click apply.  I'm assuming of course that as reported by the original poster, you similarly have established a VPN connection.  Also, please note the dialog warning when changing the IP (and/or listening port number).

4 Posts

December 9th, 2013 10:00

I understood what it's all about. The problem was that I always tried to use localhost or 127.0.0.1, but as I see you should use currently assigned IP address of you interface and the same IP should be set on the setup page "IP to listen on:"

Thanks Chris it works now)

4 Posts

December 11th, 2013 00:00

I'm sorry, I was too hasty(. Actually the problem not in VPN. When I install Unisphere Server at home I have IP address 192..., it works fine and after restart it still launches. But when I come to work then my laptop getting IP 10..., and here I have a problem. I've tried to set my new IP in setup page and changed NAVISPHERE_IPADDRESS in register but nothing helps until re-installation of Unisphere Server...

C:\Users\ustine>echo %MANAGEMENTSERVER_REVISION%

December 11th, 2013 16:00

So I did a bit of reproducing here; I haven't yet upgraded to v1.3 (which is why I asked for the version you are running).  It is a common scenario also within EMC as we will have a local install of Unisphere Server and Client on our laptops for the purpose of reviewing client NAR/NAZ files offline and then this stops working when we VPN into the corporate network.

In v1.2 and below, it was, at least for me, always enough for me to go into /setup and change the: "IP to listen on:" to match the new IP assigned by the VPN client.

However, that work-around no longer works when I reinstalled with v1.3 of server (and client).  So I did some troubleshooting, but ultimately gave up once I found an internal reference to the fix which worked for me.  It is pending a KB article which is in draft so with respect to the review process could you open up an SR and reference the following KB article and let support manage the queue?  They may also have some additional questions for you.  For instance, my only concern with the process (minor) might be whether or not this Unisphere Server instance is also acting as a Unisphere Domain management server for your environment?  Or is this a local install you also use to analyze NAR files offline?  While the risk is imho minute, worst case you may end up reinstalling everything.

Unisphere Off-array Server stucked at Starting Services

https://support.emc.com/kb/172187

December 11th, 2013 17:00

Nevermind, I see reference to this laptop moving from your home network to your company network (thus the changing IP which is the root of the issue) so it is safe to assume this is of course not acting as the Unisphere Domain mgmt server for your VNX/CX/Celerra environment.  So even if the work-around goes south, reinstalling and trying the work-around again wouldn't be a concern for you.  Again, the risk is minimal (almost non-existent) but something to consider.

As stated above, open up an SR and reference the KB article.  They will give you a handful of steps.  Now you'll no longer have to reinstall everything every time the IP changes on your laptop.

No Events found!