Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2012 08:00

How to monitor power consumption in a VNX

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a VNX 5700 array, and I want to know how to monitor the power consumption of this unit.  Typically I monitor my environment through APC PDU's however the EMC Rack that is shipped with the Array is to small to hold a PDU.

Does anyone know if you can monitor live power consumption on a VNX via SNMP or any other protocol?  Anyone know what options are available to be monitored?

We do power consumption monitoring in our datacenter, and this is a key feature we require.

Thanks

Ryan

67 Posts

January 30th, 2012 09:00

Hi!

Thanks for using EMC's Forum. EMC has an application that can help you to make those measurements. It's name is Power Calculator.

Please read the information below and let us know if that was you're looking for!

EMC Power Calculator Now Supports VMAXe, VNX, and VNXe

The EMC Power Calculator has been updated to support VMAXe, VNX, and VNXe. It also supports Centera, Rainfinity, Atmos, Avamar, Data Domain, BRS, RecoverPoint, Celerra, CLARiiON, Connectrix, Greenplum, DMX series, and VPLEX.

The EMC Power Calculator is an online utility that calculates power consumption and cooling requirements for specific configurations of EMC storage platforms. It also provides a summary report on operational cost, weight, sound levels, and floor space. The calculator has several ease-of-use features, such as the ability to save configurations and reports.

Widely popular, the EMC Power Calculator has more than 25,000 users since 2008. Based on collected feedback from the field, this new version of the Power Calculator provides many additional features when calculating the environmental benefits of EMC storage in the virtual data center, including:

• Greenhouse gas emissions calculation—This feature allows users to calculate the greenhouse gas emissions generated from the power and cooling of the IT environment.
  • Shared Configurations—Users can now send their saved configurations to colleagues for review and discussion.

Call to Action

• Use the enhanced Power Calculator to calculate, save, and share specific configurations for current EMC storage platforms.
  • Access the tool at http://powercalculator.emc.com
  • Continue to let your customers know that you can help with detailed power, cooling, and greenhouse gas emissions information for their current systems or intended purchases.
  • Continue to use the efficiency of EMC storage products as a competitive advantage.

Cheers!

Geraldo. 

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 30th, 2012 12:00

Power Calculator is for planning purposes, we've been asking for something that can read actual utilization.

8 Posts

January 30th, 2012 13:00

Dynamox is correct in this case, I am looking for real-time power utilization.  I have looked at the calculator, it looks like its a great tool.  However for planning consumption of our Datacenter power resources we use a tool from APC to pool real-time stats to get "in production" consumption rather then generic charts.

Its the "real-time" that I am looking for in this case.  Typically I use APC PDU's they just are to big for the VNX40U rack (why dont they have a 42U version, they have one for clariion, but not VNX)

January 31st, 2012 15:00

If you have block only, review the "environment" naviseccli command:

environment -list -array [-power] [-present]|[-average]

-enclosure [bus_enc|spe] [-power|-intemp [f|c]] [-present]|[-average]

-sps [-sp a|b] [-power] [-present]|[-average]

-all

In Unisphere, you can also get the same information scattered throughout the interface.  For instance,

1) The (block) array components as a whole:

a) System -> Under "System Management" -> System Properties

b) Click on the "Environment" tab

2) Enclosures

a) System -> Hardware -> Storage Hardware

b) Right click on individual DAE's -> Properties -> "Environment" tab

3) Standby Power Supplies

a) System -> Hardware -> Storage Hardware

b) Right click on individual SPS -> Properties -> "Environment" tab

4) Generate a report

a) System -> Reports

b) Reports Wizard

c) "All Reports" -> "System Profile" -> "Environment Information Summary"

For file/unified, review the nas_environment command

nas_environment -info

{

| -system [-present|-average]

| -dme [enclosure_id] [-intemp [f|c]|-power] [-present]|[-average]

| -array [-present|-average]

| -shelf { |<-all>} [-intemp [f|c]|-power]

[-present|-average]

| -battery [a|b] [-present|-average]

| -spe [-intemp [f|c]|-power] [-present|-average]

| -all

}

Similarly in Unisphere, you can review the same information in the "Hardware for File" (System -> Hardware) list, right-click on the individual components and select "Environment" tab.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 2nd, 2012 07:00

good stuff ..thank you Christopher. Now we can generate some reports and keep our datacenter folks happy.

1 Message

April 19th, 2013 22:00

I know this is an old post, but we installed these to make sure that we have accurate draw information at our outlets so we can maximize our circuits and maintain an 80% demand factor.  Hopefully this helps someone else.

GEIST LME-103TL6-10TL6S Power AMP Meter L6-30 Plug/L6-30 Connector Local & Remote Display - Our Item #: 3008, Category: …

We bought them from stayonline.  I was always scared when I plug anything in at our Colo because our equipment is on the colo's UPSs and not our own and I had no way of being sure we were under 80% without these.  We have two VNX 5300's and an HP C7000, and some switching equipment.  -E

8.6K Posts

April 20th, 2013 13:00

Thanks for the feedback

No Events found!