Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 9th, 2013 12:00

Hyper-V 2012 and SMB 3.0 support on VNXe 3150

I'm trying to use the new function of Server 2012 to allow an SMB 3.0 share to be storage for a Hyper-V virtual machines.

Part of the setup suggests that the SMB 3.0 share must have full control to the Hyper-V host.  Ie the server name is mydomain\myHyperVServer - not a user, group but a machine.

I've tried to set this on a SMB share on a VNX3 3150, but the permissions keep reverting to "special" rather than what I am assigning to the share.

When I try to create a virtual machine i get the error "failed to open attachment '\\192.168.2.1\kdrive\new virtual machine.vhdx'. Error: 'The account used is a computer account.  Use your global user account or local user account to access this server"

I've tried putting the compure account into another group, but that hasn't helped.

Anyone implemented this at all, any ideas?

2 Posts

July 11th, 2013 09:00

This has been sitting out here for two days with no update. I would like to hear about this as well.

2 Posts

July 11th, 2013 10:00

Thank you

19 Posts

July 11th, 2013 10:00

There are two excellent documents on support.com

Docu45346 VNXe intro to SMB3 support

Docu 3185 VNXe with hyper V

These should answer all

11 Posts

July 12th, 2013 02:00

Yes, there is some documentation.

I've opened a job with support, and the initial suggestion is that SMB3 on the VNXe 3150 won't work with Hyper-V, as the VNXe implementation only supports NTFS rights for users or groups and not computer accounts.

The suggestion was that iSCSI is used instead of SMB3.

I've asked the technician to look into this further for us, as the VNXe documentation specifically makes mention to SMB3 being used with Hyper-V.

11 Posts

August 30th, 2013 06:00

I've been in conversation with support over this issue, and after some work they've come up with the following work around (ie don't used SMB3 and Server 2012 HyperV), It may help someone else, as I've decided not to use SMB3 and HyperV and have reverted to iSCSI.  (This is of course slightly disappointing, as EMC VNXe is supposed to support SMB3, and SMB & HyperV are supposed to go hand in hand)

Test 1: Keep Hyper-V (Windows 2012) Server ,Windows 2003 and Windows 8 as default settings. The Hyper-V server was able to create the VMs to Windows 2003 Share Folder and failed to create to Windows 8 Share Folder.

Collected the Network Trace on each devices and I found for the Windows 2003 that Hyper-V server used SMB1 and for the Windows 8 that Hyper-V used the SMB2.

Test 2: I disabled the SMB2&3 and just enabled SMB1 on Windows 8. Then the Hyper-V server was able to create the VMs to Windows 8 Share Folder. (For Windows, the SMB3 will be disabled when we disable the SMB2.)

Test 3: Meanwhile, I tried to disabled the SMB2 on Hyper-V Server (as SMB client) then the Hyper-V server was able to create the VMs to VNXe.

According our tests, I think the Hyper-V seems can’t use the SMB2&3 to save the VMs to Share Folder. As you know the Windows 8 is same as Windows 2012 supported SMB3.

Regarding How to enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 please refer below document of Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2696547/en-us

Action Plan:

-----------------

We have a workaround to use the VNXe CIFS share folder for the Hyper-V Server 2012. It is that disabled the SMB2 on Hyper-V Server as SMB client.

How to enable or disable SMB protocols on the SMB client

Note When you enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 8 or in Windows Server 2012, SMBv3 is also enabled or disabled. This behavior occurs because these protocols share the same stack.

To disable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:

1. sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi
  2. sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= disabled

To enable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:

1. sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
  2. sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto

To disable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:

1. sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
  2. sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

To enable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:

1. sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
  2. sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

Community Manager

• 

6.2K Posts

September 1st, 2013 17:00

Thanks for sharing!

1 Message

September 12th, 2013 03:00

Strange, but we successfully running Hyper-V Servers 2012 with VNXe 3150 CIFS backend over SMBv3...
And as much as I know - the only supported CIFS backend by Microsoft is SMBv3...We are using SMBv3 backend to overcome 2TB LUN limitations of VNXe iSCSI.

8.6K Posts

September 18th, 2013 14:00

Interesting – thanks for the feedback

1 Message

March 7th, 2014 08:00

Batourine_m,

Can you share your configuration on how you got SMB 3.0 to work against Windows 2012 R2 servers?

I am able to get only 2 out of the 4 NICs on spA to talk over SMB 3.0 on the VNXe 3150.

Any feedback will be very helpful.

thanks

Note:

My config is: Windows 2012 R2 server have 4 spA NICs ( 192.168.1.1 - .4) and VNXe 3150e NICs have 4 NICs (192.168.1.10-.14)

SMB 3.0 is working on all 4 NICs on the Windows 2012 R2 server

SMB 3.0 is only working on 2 out of 4 NICs on the VNXe 3150

1 Message

July 16th, 2014 06:00

Sorry for rehashing an old thread but I am in the same boat.  I moved all of my hyper-v vms from iSCSI to a vnxe SMB share.  Now my backup software (VEEAM) does not support backing up of the vms because its not a Microsoft server with VSS.  For those who are currently running this what software do you use for backups of the VMS or how do you go about backing up?

Nick

No Events found!