Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2015 11:00

IP Replicator of VNX done but different files count?

Hi All,

I have performed IP replicator from a Site A VNX to Site B VNX. On Site A, the FS is mounted on a VDM, but we couldn't IP replicate the VDM cause there were other FS associated with it, so we decided to only replicate the FS itself to Site B VNX.

I have created a VDM on Site B and chose that the FS that will be replicated is to be mounted to it.

I have made the Site A mount Read Only, and waited for replication to show the last sync time to show that it has been replicated. Then made Site B VNX read/write and created a share to check data availability as well as permissions. Files look to be ok as well as permissions.

However, when i did right click properties on files, the file count on Site A seems bit more then Site B VNX. Any ideas why might that be the case?

Or what tools can be used to check what's the difference between both FS on both sites?

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Osama Hasebou

8.6K Posts

February 16th, 2015 13:00

That doesnt make sense

Replicator copies the file system block-by-block – it doesn’t even look at files

So the replicated file system will always have the exact same number of files as the source

Of course in the meantime some files could have been added to the source file system.

Or by making the dest fs readonly a few files couldn have been created or removed

Most likely not user data but .etc or lost+found

Try NOT making the dest readwrite – go through C$ to the readonly fs

8.6K Posts

February 16th, 2015 13:00

BTW if you simply want to see the number of files/dirs then look at the number of used inodes with server_df

Works just as well with readonly file systems or checkpoints

8.6K Posts

March 3rd, 2015 02:00

any Feedback there ?

8.6K Posts

March 3rd, 2015 13:00

No – server_df – like df on a normal Unix system or dir on Windows system merely looks at the counters in the file system stats (superblock)

Fsscan is very different – it actually walks the file system looking at each and every file metadata

March 3rd, 2015 13:00

Hi Rainer,

Sorry for the delay, I couldn't manage to check it as i got pulled into other things and now it's a bit late as it's in production already being used. We relied that if there are real missing files they can restore them via backups performed from before. Perhaps i get to try that in another trial.

I usually use FSscan or Fdiff to check the file/folder counts vs acls.

Does the server_df do the same function?

Thanks.

No Events found!