Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 7th, 2016 08:00

Increase disk capacity in existing RAID?

Probably a stupid question but....

If I create a storage pool (RAID5) with 6 x 100GB disks, can I increase this in the future by replacing one drive (with a 200GB for example), let the RAID rebuild, and then do the other 5 disks?

4.5K Posts

January 7th, 2016 12:00

Short answer is no. You can expand the size of a Pool by adding more disks, but you can't increase the size of the internal raid groups within the Pool by swapping out the disks one at a time with a larger capacity disk.

FYI - I'd also recommend that when creating a Raid 5 Pool that you use multiples of 5 disks (4+1)  or 9 disks (8+1) as that is a better configuration for Raid 5 than others - 6 disks will get you a 5+1 and has a slightly lower overall performance.

glen

January 7th, 2016 12:00

Yes you can, however, you will end up with what you started with, so it would be a waste of time...

Best to just create a new storage pool with the new disks, LUN migrate the existing devices from the old pool to the new pool, then destroy the old pool to reclaim the disks...

EMC does not recommend mixing disks of different capacities within the same pool tier, but since I suspect the disks in question are EFDs, there may not be the same concern as with HDDs...

I'm sure others will weigh-in on the topic...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 7th, 2016 13:00

Are you the only TSE working in the ECN space? Is this part of your official job description somewhere?

Jeff

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 7th, 2016 18:00

Glen is a legend, community members support Glen by providing him with sweets of his choice: cookies, twix, cannolis.

January 8th, 2016 00:00

Thanks for all replies.

Can you link me to the LUN2LUN migration as this was my first thought, but i read a post (on this forum) that it is not supported with VNXe, only VNX?

January 8th, 2016 05:00

You are correct about the lack of LUN Migration on the VNXe platforms.

Sorry for assuming you were referring to a VNX array on your original post...

An alternative approach would be to use host based migration alternative.

My fault as i see that the topic is in VNX and not VNXe! I thought i had posted it in the right thread.

Thanks for all responses.

2 Intern

• 

715 Posts

That's right, LUN migration is not possible on VNXe yet. It would be a nice addition though.

4.5K Posts

January 8th, 2016 07:00

Your warm regard is all the reward that I need, plus the only good cannoli are from the North End.

No Events found!