Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2013 05:00

Is here Best Practice of VNX Fast with Storage DRS ?

Hello,

I have a customer which has also Storage DRS enabled and also VNX Fast.

Which considaration should i take when the two are enabled?

the Fast schedule happens at night and the DRS i think also ,so i dind't find anything on it .

Please let advise .

October 23rd, 2013 21:00

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and can go unanswered for a long time.

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "VNX Support Forum".

When used with FAST VP, it is recommended to only use Storage DRS for capacity load balancing/(initial) placement and to *disable* I/O metrics on the corresponding datastore associated with the FAST VP LUN (LUN with an active tiering policy).  Then as you are certainly familiar with, FAST VP will then rebalance slices amongst tiers and/or (assuming VNX OE for Block v32) within the same tier based on activity (or lack of).  This is mentioned in several EMC publications as well as VMware documents and blogs.  For example:

Using EMC VNX Storage with VMware vSphere

https://support.emc.com/docu33753_TechBook:_Using_EMC_VNX_Storage_with_VMware_vSphere.pdf

Skip to the section "Storage Distributed Resource Scheduler (SDRS)"

No Events found!