Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2014 03:00

Max SSD drives in a VNX5300

I'm currently running a VNX 5300 (Block only) with 105 disk slots available, populated with 93 disks.

There are currently 20 SSD disks in the array, 4 for FAST Cache, 1 as a hot spare, and 15 in 3 storage groups, with 5 disks residing in each SG.

I'd like to add 5 more SSD's along with some SAS and create another Storage Group within the array.

I'd just like to confirm that there isnt a maximum number of SSD's you can use in this model storage array.

Thanks in advance!

October 16th, 2014 04:00

I think you're fine to add more ssd for Fast VP, but you're at the limit for Fast Cache

--Could be corrected, though I'm not aware of any limit for ssd in fast vp

45 Posts

October 16th, 2014 05:00

Thanks.

No interest in increasing the cache, the array itself is hardly tickled to be honest.  Just need to throw a bit more space at it.

212 Posts

October 16th, 2014 06:00

Hi

There is no limit on the numbers of SSD on the 5300, but you can add more SSD that the back ends can handle.

But if the array is not heavily utilized this should not be a problem in your case. but i that is the case why add more SSD, why not just add SAS or Nl-SAS...

One thing that you need to observe id the number of disk slots you have in the array now, and how many you can add.

If you have 93 disks in use today you must have empty slots in your DAE's...

The 5300 will accept a new DAE as long as the added slots does not bring the total number of disk slots over 125...if it does that the DAE will not be reckognized by the system...

So if you have 12 empty slots and in effect 105 in total, you can add one more 15 slot DAE, but not a 25 slot DAE

45 Posts

October 16th, 2014 06:00

I did find out to my cost that the array wouldnt take another 25 disk DAE after ordering one with 18 disks.  I wrongly thought that it was a 120 limit on disks, not disk slots.  And the reason I ordered a 25 disk DAE is that I only have 2U left in the rack.

Im in the process of returning the DAE with disks and replacing with 3.5" disks to fill the empty slots in the current DAE's.

No Events found!