Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2013 21:00

Migrating a VNX with CIFS form one domain to adifferent domain

Hi guys I want to migrate a VNX with CFS form one domain to another. I was thinking to do the below steps. Let me know if they are right.Let’s say my old domain is old_domain and new domain is new_domain and my CIFS server is server1

1) Migrate the sid’s in the acl database for all file systems. Server1 is the cifs server, old_domain is old domain and new_domain is new domain, cge1 is the name of the interface on the VNX. FS1 is one of the file systems on the VNX

Server_cifs server_2 –Migrate FS1 –acl old_domain.com:nb=server1:if=cge1 new_domain.com:nb=server1:if=cge1

2) perform the AD count migration using quest tools

3) Run the replace ommand

Server_cifs server_2 –Replace FS1 –acl:nb=server1:if=cge1

4) Unjoin the existing CIFS server1 from the old domain

Server_cifs server_2 compname=server1,domain=old_domain.com,admin=****

5) Remove the cifs server configuration from the Celerra Data mover

Server_cifs server_2 –delete compname=server1

6) Recreate the CIFS server on the data mover specifying the new domain name and interface

Server_cifs server_2 –J compname=server1,domain=new-domain.com,interface=10.x.x.x,admin=*****

Thanks a lot

1.2K Posts

December 9th, 2013 08:00

Hi Bhargav -

I replied your reply via LinkedIn as well:

Be sure to test your steps before you proceed! You can create a new CIFS server on your VNX, replicate your production filesystem from source to your test, the perform all of the steps you have listed above. This will ensure that you're aware of any issues before your final migration.

Let us know how it goes!

Karl

December 9th, 2013 10:00

In addition to Karl's advice, unless you already reviewed the document, also compare your steps as outlined in the following PDF:

"Configuring and Managing CIFS on Celerra/VNX"

https://support.emc.com/search/?resource=DOC_LIB&ThisExactPhrase=configuring%20and%20managing%20CIFS&SearchWithin=true&adv=y

Skip to the section: "Domain Migration".

3 Posts

January 12th, 2017 13:00

Hi Bhargav,

Was the CIFS domain migration successful with the above-mentioned steps.

I have the same request with me now. Kindly provide your feedback.

8.6K Posts

January 16th, 2017 20:00

IF you click on the OP's profile you can see that he hasnt logged in since April last year so I wouldnt hold my breath for a reply ......

No Events found!