Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2013 09:00

Migrating from DFS to CIFS, best practice for shares?

I'm migrating our DFS setup to a CIFS server I just setup on my VNX. I'm trying to figure out what the best way to setup the shares are.

Currently on DFS, I have:

Main Share

-Accounting

-Acct User 1

-Acct User 2

-Purchasing

-Purchasing user 1

-Purchasing user 2

Basically, everyone can see the Main share and then permissions are locked down on the shares from there. Accounting can only get to the Accounting share, etc.

So, for my CIFS setup I created the Main Share again, and gave everyone read permissions. Then under that share, I just created folders and am assigning permissions that way, I'm not creating shares under the main share. Basically, why would I create shares under the main share as opposed to just setting the file permissions on the sub folders under the main share?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 20th, 2013 10:00

sounds good to me, no need to share sub directories. The only time i had to share sub directories when we had a user that need access to a directly deep deep inside in the structure. It was easier to share that specific directory versus adding that user with read only rights all the way down from top level. Also take a look at Access Based Enumeration.

3 Posts

November 20th, 2013 14:00

All the data is still in the DFS shares. I tried doing just what you're talking about, but there ended up being issues when trying to set permissions. I ended up just adding a shortcut in the DFS to the new location on the CIFS

86 Posts

November 20th, 2013 14:00

Where is your data right now that you're migrating to the VNX? I've done a similar project where I used EMCopy to move the data to the storage location and then once verified, I just updated DFS to reflect the new UNC. Like dynamox stated, you could just do a single root share and then create all of your DFS targets underneath it.

86 Posts

November 21st, 2013 06:00

Did you remove NTFS inheritance on the departmental folders? If not, then they are going to inherit permissions from the root share which means everyone will have access.

No Events found!