Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

April 7th, 2014 01:00

Move CIFS Server to new domain

Hi there.

I need some input on the following:

We need to migrate a VDM CIFS server from Windows Domain A to Domain B.

The domains are trusted.

These are the steps i would do:

1. Unjoin CIFS server from Domain A.

2. Join CIFS server to Domain B.

In the "Configuring and Managing CIFS on VNX" documentation there are some commands for "Domain migration", which i do not really understand why and how to use it:

- server_cifs -Migrate

- server_cifs -Replace

How do they fit in there? Do i need to use them? When do i use those?

Maybe someone can bring some light in here.

Regards

Alex

1.2K Posts

April 7th, 2014 09:00

If there is a difference in Windows Active Directory domain functionality level (i.e., source is AD 2003 and the destination is AD 2008 R2), you might want to test this before migrating.  You can download the free VNX simulator from EMC Support, then create a VDM in your source domain.  You can then test your procedure to migrate to the destination domain, and look for any "gotchas".  It's certainly worth testing your process, to make sure things go smoothly!

91 Posts

April 7th, 2014 09:00

Hi,

Yes you have to use -migrate command before the migration starts and once the migration is done you have to run the -Replace command.(you should make sure that the domain migration is completed). You need run these two commands to update the SID's on the destination.

Jithin

64 Posts

April 8th, 2014 01:00

so the steps would have to be like this?

1. server_cifs -Migrate

2. Unjoin CIFS server from Domain A.

3. Join CIFS server to Domain B.

4. server_cifs -Replace

Is it really necessary to do a "-Migrate" and afterwards a "-Replace"? Doesn't the "-Migrate" already replace the SIDs?

As far as i understood you only do a "-Replace" if the old Domain Controller is not available (anymore)?

And what do you mean when you're talking of "migration"? The Windows-side of the migration?

Both domains in this case already exist, all users and groups exist in both domains. The CIFS server will stay the same (name, IP,...)

3 Posts

January 19th, 2017 11:00

Hi Alex,

I have the same task now.

Could you please let me know, if you are success in your activity with the above procedure.

I am really confused what exactly does "migrate" and "replace" ..

1 Message

September 14th, 2018 12:00

Hi Alexander.

I have the same task now.

have you done it?

thanks for you attention

best regards

Oscar

December 2nd, 2018 18:00

Hi Alexander,

I have to migrate the CIFS server to New domain. If you done it. could you please share the steps to me. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Vijay

No Events found!