Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2011 07:00

NSX to VNX replication

All:

have several NSX platforms and customer just recently purchased several new VNX 7500 frames. Attempting to create / test replication between the 2 and am unable to establist data mover interconnects between them.  IS this even possible since VNX is at 7.0 code and the NSX is at 6.0.41-4...?  is there a white paper / solution availalble to review for this type of environment.  At some point down the road we will need to begin to move data from frame to frame, but right now we just want to test moving small shares from frame to frame 

thanks in advnace...

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 27th, 2011 07:00

12 Posts

September 27th, 2011 08:00

thanks, it is much appreciated. 

12 Posts

September 27th, 2011 09:00

OK..so i have followed these steps to the letter and cannot get it to create a DM interconnect.  From the source celerra I can ping the destindation CS and DM, time skew is dead on, and I can nslookup both CS and DM from the source frame CS

any thoughts / ideas..???  I have setup several DM interconnects between NS and NSX we have here without issue, just cant do the same between the VNX and the NSX.

thanks in advance

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 27th, 2011 20:00

do you get an error or it simply times out ?

12 Posts

September 28th, 2011 06:00

gives me Cannot access any Data Movers on the remote system NSX, check if the data movers on the specified rmeote system are accessable ( they are )( i can ping between frames and NSlookup ) Ensure the time difference between systems is less than 10 minutes ( both use the same NTP servers so are identical ) and ensure the passphrase between the 2 systems is correct.

I even tried doing this from VNX frame to another VNX frame and received the same issue.  All licensing appears to be in order and is enabled...

crazy that this wont configure.....!!!  

8.6K Posts

September 28th, 2011 08:00

which 7.x code exactly ?

12 Posts

September 28th, 2011 10:00

NAS Ver 7.0.13-1

8.6K Posts

September 28th, 2011 11:00

Sound like an issue with using local accounts to establish the interconnects.

I would suggest to look at the release notes and knowledgebase to understand the workarounds.

Also use the CLI – its much easier to troubleshoot. And look at the logs for the actual error messages.

If you’re not comfortable with the CLI then support can help you through a service request.

Its probably easier to upgrade the VNX to the latest 7.0.35 release – then you can create a multi-domain

setup where single sign-on and local accounts work – makes it easier to use Replicator.

The new UniSphere white paper on Powerlink has the details.

Rainer

12 Posts

September 28th, 2011 12:00

OK....i was able to create the interconnects via the CLI and they "seem" to validate but errors / alerts appear.

states something about HTTP communication not permitted and states the passphrase or time skew is off between frames. ( which I know neither is wrong ).

i am continuing to review and test via the CLI  I will update you with my findings / results...

thanks for all the help..!!

8.6K Posts

September 29th, 2011 02:00

Did you check both control station and data mover clocks ? they are independent

Shouldn’t be too hard to figure out with the complete error messages and the knowledgebase.

Any reason you don’t just open a service request ?

Rainer

1 Message

March 12th, 2012 11:00

Richard,

I have the same situation with a customer and i'm not able to create the DM Interconnect between NS80 and VNX7500. I have tried different steps on vnx but it is not querying Celerra DMs from VNX GUI. I'm able to create the interconnect using cli but they do not work while validating and the same error you got. How did you resolve your issue? Any pointers? I already have a case open with support.

thanks!

12 Posts

March 12th, 2012 18:00

I was only able to create the session via the CLI, and it is currently still active today. I have never been able to get the session created thru Unisphere.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone

March 12th, 2012 23:00

Otherwise as Rainer mention, upgrade to a version that supports Unisphere multi-domain configurations or if you are already at 7.0.35-3 or greater, setup SSO.

For Richard, this was not a solution at the time he was managing (creating or editing) the replication sessions as he was running: 7.0.13-1.  So the KB article above would have been the work-around at the time (or of course manage them via CLI).

March 12th, 2012 23:00

When managing replication sessions (creating or modifying) via the VNX and the work-arounds if looking to perform the tasks via the GUI are described in the following KB article:

emc263860: "Unable to manage remote replication sessions with NAS 7.0"

Specifically you would follow the steps noted under:

[...]

There are a number of ways to work around this problem depending on the hardware and code versions on the source and destination sides of the replication sessions. 

VNX5100/5300/5500/5700/7500 (Integrated systems) replicating with any NAS 6.0 system:

1. Create a new global user account on the VNX system. 
  2. Log in to the File side of Unisphere and find the name of the local account mapped to that global account. 
  3. Log in to the 6.0 system and create a local account with the same name as the local account on the VNX Integrated system.

[...]

Or as you have done, simply create (or modify) them via CLI.

No Events found!