Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2014 00:00

Need help in getting Block Server Performance data from VNX

I am trying to monitor my VNX array for performance using SMI-S. I am trying to connect to the SMI-S provider on the Control Station. I connect to the 'root/emc/celerra' namespace. II try to retrieve data from the BlockStatisticsService class but I get the error that the "u'The specified class does not exist. (CIM_BlockStatisticsService is not a valid className for namespace root/emc/celerra)')"

Does SMI-S provider for VNX give the performance data on the SAN arrays? If yes, is the above approach right?

Roycey

8.6K Posts

May 22nd, 2014 06:00

Hi,

for the VNX (not VNXe) there are two SMI-S implementation.

The SMI-S file provider on the control station implements the NAS related SMI-S functions.

For SMI-S block you need to install an off-array SMI-S agent that is running outside of the VNX

Which tools are you using to monitor performance or are you writing your own ?

Rainer

19 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 18:00

Yes, I am trying to write my own.

So I install the SMI-S provider on another server and using the TestSMISProvider I connect to the SP A of the VNX? Is that what you meant?

The other question I had was are there any performance metrics that I can get from the NAS smi-s provider. I could not find any such in the VNX smi-s programming guide.

8.6K Posts

May 23rd, 2014 06:00

Yes the block SMI-S provider runs on an external server and uses Solutions Enable to talk to the VNX

In terms of SMI-S you connect to the SMI-S provider

For SMI-S file WYSIWYG – its its not defined in one of the profiles its not there

Are you set on using SMI-S ?

19 Posts

May 23rd, 2014 07:00

Thanks Rainer.

Yes, I have decided to use SMI-S to build my monitors. I did not follow what you meant by "SMI-S file WYSIWYG".

As for the performance data on the NAS profiles, does SMI-S provider on VNX provide any performance related information - for eg File access times etc

Roycey

8.6K Posts

May 26th, 2014 04:00

WYSIWYG – what you see is what you get ☺

Meaning – if its not defined in one of the profile in the manual its not implemented

I don’t see SMI-S widely used – our (EMC) monitoring tools use other API’s

19 Posts

May 26th, 2014 05:00

OK...

We opted for SMI-S so that it can be used for other products too.

Thanks for all the support!!!!

No Events found!