Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2015 05:00

Preparing for excam: Questions about ISMV2

Hey there

right know I am studying for the ITSMv2 Excam and I am reading the book about it. On page 82 there is a chapter about traditional LUNs and thin LUNs.

Traditional thick LUNs are mapped to a traditional RAID Group and expanding those would be a MetaLUN. So far I've no issue with that BUT

beased on the book a Thin LUN resides in a Shared Pool. But from my experience with working on EMC VNX i can create a traditional tick LUN in the pool as well and expand it with capacity out of the pool. If i want to use Thin i can say this is a Thin LUN by klicking "Thin" and allocated 10 TB even if i am using only 2 TB. Am I right? Or am I wrong? Are all LUNs in a pool Thin LUNs even when "Thin" is not ticked? Can i change a LUN in a pool to thin and thick all the time? Are there two meanings of thin in EMC environments?

Thank you for clarification and greetings,

4.5K Posts

July 29th, 2015 13:00

Not sure why that is happening. Does this happen for every commend that you post?

glen

43 Posts

July 29th, 2015 23:00

No. Not for all comments. But some times my posts are going for a moderator approval and it is taking time to get approved.

208 Posts

July 31st, 2015 00:00

Hi Peter_EMC

This i understand. But if I have let's say 3 disks i can create a RAID 5 with 4+1 and 8+1 what's the difference? For sure there is an error saying please select a mutlipple of 5 or 9 but it is going to work anyway. So i asume 4+1 and 8+1 is the amount of disks in a RAID Group but what are the drawbacks when using 12 Disks using 4+1 or 8+1 is neither a multiple of 5 nor 9.

Any ideas?

43 Posts

July 31st, 2015 00:00

Hi Duker,

Raid 5 with a 4+1 (4 data+1 parity) or 8+1 (8 Data+1 parity) is the recommendation from EMC. EMC have done a lot of research on the RAID performance and found that this configuration will give you a better performance. You can create Raid 5 with any number of drives(Min 3 and Max:16 drives), but there will be a performance impact.

26 Posts

July 31st, 2015 04:00

Hi Duker,

In your above post cant it be 8 Data + 1 parity rather 8+1 (7 Data+1 parity)

i am unable to understand this concept of 8+1

8+1 means 8 data and 1 parity

OR

8+1 mean 7 data and 1 parity, if it is right then 7 data and 1 parity are 8 disks including parity one..

bit confusing...:(

208 Posts

July 31st, 2015 04:00

If i create a pool it tells me RAid 5 (4+1) number of disks (5 recommended, 10, 15 etc.=multiple of 5) therefore i assume a RAID group persists out of 5 disks (4 data + 1 parity). Well with RAID 5 it's not a dedicated Parity disk moreover it places parity over all 5 disks.

Therefore with a Raid 5 (8+1) it should be 9 disks and parity is spread about all 9 of them therefore you loose the amount of size of the capacity of a disk withing this raid group.

43 Posts

July 31st, 2015 05:00

Hi Shr@y,

It was a typo error. it is 8+1 (8 Data +1 Parity). Thanks...

4.5K Posts

July 31st, 2015 07:00

I'd recommend that you take a look at two documents that I've attached - one discusses how to set up your array using EMC's best practices, the other is a more basis look at how an array works and what works best. Both of these discuss raid groups and why EMC recommends certain sizes and types. It also discusses the concept of Pools and how and why to use certain configurations.

For a more in-depth look at Pools, there's a number of white papers at the support.ecm.com site that explains the Pool concept - FAST VP (Virtual Provisioning).

glen

2 Attachments

208 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 03:00

Thank you very much! Finally I've understand the notation and what's behind it!

So from that point of view it's like the following:

notation of RAID means the number uf data and parity disks used (even parity is spread accross, that's the amount of data which is lost).

RAID 5 (4+1) with 100 GByte Disks means= 500 Gbyte raw and 400 Gbyte after parity has been removed.

4+1 and 8+1 defines the number of diskes in a RAID Group which is beeing created which defines the performance/space frame:

4+1 100 Gbyte will lead to the lost of 20 % of space within a Raid 5 8+1 it's the lost of only 12% for parity but it will take longer to rebuild to the amount of disks.

But would a RAID Group with 9 disks not  be more performant than a Group with only 5? And less capacity used for parity? Why is 4+1 recommended then? Security concerning rebuild? What happens to that fact if you create a pool with 30 disks and RAID 5 (4+1) Raid groups? Will there be huge differene between 8+1 for a LUN regarding performance?

Thank you

26 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 07:00

Hi All,

What is the basic and a line difference between Block level (  FC, FCoE and Iscsi) ?

43 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 08:00

Hi Shr@y,

FC -- Data transfer over Fibre Channel network

iSCSI -- iSCSI is an IP based protocol that establishes and manages connections between host and storage over IP (Can use the existing IP network)

FCoE -- FCoE is a protocol that transport FC data over Ethernet network. It uses the Converged Enhanced Ethernet (CEE) link (10GB Ethernet) to send FC frames natively over Ethernet.

26 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 09:00

Good Day $ree,

As per my understanding, IP and Ethernet network are one and the same thing, so iSCSI and FCoE must be similar too..

and what is CEE link, Please tell me,

Thanks

43 Posts

August 4th, 2015 00:00

Hi Shr@y,

iSCSI -- SCSI packets over IP.

FCoE -- FC data over IP

FCoE provides consolidation of SAN and LAN traffic over a single physical interface infrastructure. If you are using a CNA (Converged network adapter), it will replace both HBAs and NICs in the server and consolidates both the IP and FC traffic.  You can refer IP SAN and FCoE chapter on ISM book for more details.

4.5K Posts

August 4th, 2015 13:00

Take a look at the second document that I attached a couple of post back - the best practices for performance - look in Chapter 5 - Storage System Sizing - this will explain the concept of performance based on the number of disks in a raid group.

glen

No Events found!