Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 18th, 2014 08:00

Replication using RM after additional virtual disk added to LUN

HI,

We currently replicate our file data from one VNXe3300 to another VNXe3300 at another site. The LUN size for our file data is currently set to the maximum allowed (1.999TB) and i am looking to add a virtual disk to this in order to expand the volume within windows onto the newly created disk.

My question is would i need to reconfigure the replication session within replication manager in order to take in to account the new virtual disk or would it carry on as normal as the application set is configured to replicate the F:\ drive on the files server? I am worried that if i need to re-create the application set in replication manager that a full replication will need to take place and i am really need to avoid this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

July 23rd, 2014 04:00

Hi Chris,

As per your requirement of configuring iSCSI disk more than 2TB which requires drive to be spanned or dynamic on windows.

As per Replication manager support matrix, Dynamic disks are not supported.

When you add another virtual disk for existing iSCSI filesystem, it creates new LUN under same filesystem and provides different LUN number altogether.

While trying to discover dynamic disk on windows even though it has same drive signature, but VNXe keeps two different signature for the same. Now Replication Manager marks that as Dynamic drive and fails to replicate Dynamic drive.

Replication Manager Support Matrix

Regards,

Swapnil

July 22nd, 2014 06:00

Hi

If you want to  replicate anything more than 2TB then you will have to configure through file replication,be cause it will allow you  to replicate a file system which is more than 2TB unlike ISCSI where you will hit the 2TB limitation.

Thanks

Jyothi

4 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 03:00

Thanks for the information guys. Would I be right in saying that as a result of re-creating the replication set within RM I would need to perform a full replication as if it was the first time it had been replicated?

Thanks,

Chris

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2014 03:00

Hi Chris,

I would like to add that in case of adding another iSCSI virtual disk to the LUN, replication will need to be re-created as the RM uses the LUN ID (unique for each virtual disk) for the replication session.

Please feel free to contact us for any question.

Best Regards,

Eslam

Sorry for confusion or not providing exact resolution.

Replication for Dynamic disk with Replication manager is not supported. Saying that you won't be able to configure replication for a dynamic disk.

Swapnil.Chikhaldekar wrote:

Hi Chris,

As per your requirement of configuring iSCSI disk more than 2TB which requires drive to be spanned or dynamic on windows.

As per Replication manager support matrix, Dynamic disks are not supported.

When you add another virtual disk for existing iSCSI filesystem, it creates new LUN under same filesystem and provides different LUN number altogether.

While trying to discover dynamic disk on windows even though it has same drive signature, but VNXe keeps two different signature for the same. Now Replication Manager marks that as Dynamic drive and fails to replicate Dynamic drive.

Replication Manager Support Matrix

Regards,

Swapnil

So as per your statement it has to be full replication in above post asked by Chris, if I am right ?

Thnx

Rakesh

No Events found!