Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2014 02:00

Replicator from NAS Code 7.1 to 8.1

Hello,

is it possible to setup a replication session between a VNX (old hw) that is running a NAS Code 7.1 and a new one (MCx) that is running a NAS code 8.1? (i.g. VNX5300 to VNX5200)

My source is a 7.1 NAS and the destination is a 8.1 and I would like to use Replicator to migrate FS and VDM to the new platform but I cannot find any specific doc that explains limitations and compatibility. (i.g. deduplication enabled, FLR....etc)

Thanks

AndMar

30 Posts

April 24th, 2014 05:00

With the new VNX systems they have a VNX file migration tool to setup and perform the migration between systems. It's included for no additional charge.  If you don't want to use the intended tool then yes you can replicate using VNX replicator between 7.1.x and 8.1.x systems.

The NAS compatibility matrix - although it says not updated for 7.1

https://support.emc.com/docu32528_NAS-Support-Matrix.pdf?language=en_US

If you head over to support.emc.com and search on "file migration" it brings up a number of documents with regards to the file migration application for VNX 8.1 code levels.

Start with article number - 000167627

Jeff.

11 Posts

April 24th, 2014 05:00

Thanks Jeff,

yes, I've already been through CDMS tool and I would be happy to use it anyway, they still say that VDM migration is not supported...and my env is based on VDM. Have you ever tried the tool with VDM migration on the VNX2 platforms?

This video is very interesting...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuRuh3YGHLU

Thanks

AndMar

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

April 24th, 2014 06:00

I have seen the doc and it says it’s for professional service only

30 Posts

April 24th, 2014 06:00

I wasn't referring to CDMS.  The purpose built migration tool on 8.1 was designed to only work with VDM environments.  the feedback that I've had for users was that overall it was a positive experience it does have some documented limitations in the users guide for it which should be reviewed.

The VDM mobility is the migration tool I'm referencing

8.6K Posts

April 24th, 2014 07:00

He means nas_migrate which can automate the migration

It’s a CLI tool plus a GUI front-end

If you are interested in that just reach out to your local EMC PS team

Under the covers it does just use nas_replicate – so you can also do this manually.

nas_migrate just has some more functionality, like also migrating checkpoints, ….

No Events found!