Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 2nd, 2014 11:00

SPCollect to Excel

Does EMC or anyone have a utility (maybe a Powershell script) that will populate an Excel spreadsheet from an SPCollect zip file?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

instead of using USM ?

474 Posts

Unisphere Service Manager (USM) has a feature built in to "view system configuration" and it takes an SPCollect as input and products an Excel workbook or an HTML/XML package full of very useful information.

You can download USM from EMC Support.

309 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 12:00

Shocker, the software doesn't work. Actually, I would like to do this from the CLI as this would take quite some time with the GUI. I have about 50 arrays I need to do this to.  Thanks.

USM_Error.jpg

474 Posts

Did you already have the SPCollect from the array and opened it? Or did you have USM go out and retrieve data.. I usually just have USM open an SPCollect I already have.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

i generate SPCollect using Unisphere, then open USM select this option

1-2-2014 3-48-31 PM.png

309 Posts

All done via USM.

474 Posts

what were the last 8 characters of the spcollect file name?

309 Posts

USM generated this:

20140102_150836vnx_DiagnosticData_APM00125183350.zip

309 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 13:00

I tested one generated from Unisphere Server (the one with "_data" in the name)and also got an error. So, no way to do this from CLI?

USM1_Error.jpg

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 2nd, 2014 13:00

using latest USM (1.3.0.1) ?

I am not aware of any tools available to customers, partners and emc employees is probably a different story.

January 4th, 2014 04:00

A few thoughts:

1) Is this installed on a system with Windows UAC enabled?

If so, can you restart USM but right click on the program icon and select: "Run as administrator"

2) Possible corrupt installation of USM?

a) As dynamox suggested are you running the absolute latest?  Even if you are (and the suggestion above doesn't resolve it), consider reinstalling USM.  Here is a search URL generic enough that will always return the latest (currently v1.3.1.1.0033) which should float to the top of the list:

https://support.emc.com/search/?resource=ST&ThisExactPhrase=Unisphere%20Service%20Manager&SearchWithin=true&adv=y

b) You *may* also want to after uninstalling (but before reinstalling) consider renaming the current repository folder effectively keeping a copy of the current contents and let the subsequent install generate it new.  I'm simply suggesting to rule out a (while unlikely) corrupt repository.  The default directory is:

C:\EMC\repository

I would first try reinstalling without touching the current repository folder.  If you still get similar results then try again performing the suggestion to also work in a fresh repository folder.

If everything above still fails:

1) Can you confirm that an HTML report succeeds and it is just an Excel report that fails?

2) Can you verify that the conversion script exists which is located in the parent folder of the USM install directory

ArrayConfigToXLS.js

(default for a 64-bit OS) installation directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\EMC\Unisphere Service Manager

3) Can you try to generate an Excel workbook manually?

So, no way to do this from CLI?

For troubleshooting (and to answer your question), I'd like for you to try to generate the Excel sheet manually:

a) First, you will need to gather the arrayconfig.xml file from either SP A or B

b) The file ultimately resides within the  _sus.zip (sub-)archive of an SP collect

For example, seeing that you have already peeled back the zip you received collecting the diagnostic data from within USM, if you were to further extract the contents of the _data.zip file, you would then find the _sus.zip archive.  Extract that and you'll find depending on which SP:

SPA_arrayconfig.xml

SPB_arrayconfig.xml

c) Then to manually generate the Excel workbook, you would then run the following (assumes default program and system directories):

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\EMC\Unisphere Service Manager"

C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe ArrayConfigToXLS.js " _arrayconfig.xml"

In the same directory, you would then find the output of the script:

SPA_arrayconfig.xlsx (or SPB_arrayconfig.xlsx)

NOTE:

- If UAC is enabled on the OS, you would want to initiate the cmd prompt with "Run as administrator"

- You would of course specify the path to the arrayconfig.xml file (consider copying out of what will be a very lengthy path as a result of the required extractions)

4) If this should fail, can you confirm the version of java you have running?

6 Posts

January 6th, 2014 05:00

Another nice thing to know is that USM can't export to Excel if you have Office x64 installed.

I don't really get why EMC creates a tool in Java when they only publish a 32-bit Windows executable. I thought Java was meant to be cross platform?

309 Posts

January 6th, 2014 06:00

I am running version 1.2.26.1.0068. I will upgrade to the latest and give it a go. Thanks.

474 Posts

January 6th, 2014 09:00

I have USM v.1.3.0.1.0015 on Windows 7 x64 with Excel x64 with the following Java installs..

Java 6u30

Java 7u45

Both are 32bit installs of Java. I had to uninstall ALL java, then install the 6u30 first, followed by 7u45.

USM and export to Excel both work fine.

Note: I always run USM as Administrator, as someone else noted.

Richard J Anderson

6 Posts

January 7th, 2014 05:00

Is Java v6 still mandatory? Would it work if I try to reinstall Java v7 only?

No Events found!