Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 8th, 2013 11:00

San Copy pull from Hitachi to VNX

I need to migrate data from a Hitachi array TO a VNX 7500.  The most helpful info I have found with San Copy is 3 years old and indicates that migrating data from a 3rd Party array that I have to do a Full Copy where IO must be quiesced for whole session (unlike an OR Hot Pull)!!  I interpret that as the host has to be offline the entire time of the migration from the HDS array to the VNX!    The same document said an Incremental was not possible with this scenario.   Am I wrong in my interpretation or if correct what other options with SAN Copy do I have?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

You response time rocks Dynamox!  Article went on to say... "To allow the production LUN to be active during the SAN Copy transfer, a full session may be created using a SnapView snapshot or a fractured clone as the data source."  Have you seen or heard of anyone who cloned their HDS Luns, fractured it and then did full copy from this HDS 'Source' back to VNX/Cx 'Target' Luns while production up and running.  If yes, then what is the mechanism to catch up on writes on the Target, subsequent to the original clone on the HDS/3rd party array?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

you are correct, there is no hot pull in VNX so source LUN needs to be offline while you are pulling the data

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 8th, 2013 12:00

actually it is, you just need to do it when only one node of the cluster is online.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

some 3-rd party models are supported by PowerPath Migration Enabler,  are you running HDLM ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Yes host running HDLM but each node has only 2 HBAs and had considered PPME only to find that it does not support Win2003 Clusters, roadblock there.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Windows 2003 SP2 running MSCS while the HDS is a USP but I need to get specific model.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

since you are pulling from HDS, VNX does not know what has changed on source so it can't do incremental. I used to work on Tagma many years ago, don't see any reason why you could not use shadowImage as your source. Still you will need to rely on host based tools to "catch up". What OS are you migrating and what HDS model ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 8th, 2013 13:00

Many thanks Dynamox.  I have read a number of your responses in the past and grateful for your help here and more importantly the value you add to these forums.  Flake

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Makes sense - Thanks for the possible get out of Jail for free card as long as higher mgmt will bite off 1 node down and online node has single HBA with HDLM controlling HDS Luns and other HBA with Powerpath controlling new VNX target (as told HDLM and PP cannot be loaded on same HBA); unless you say Powerpath can control the HDS Luns (I have not done that one before).  If you say PP can control HDS Luns, then I can rip out HDLM and load PP and be on my merry migration way, eh?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

source and target need to be controlled by PowerPath, take a look at the latest release notes for PowerPath ..see if it supports your model.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 8th, 2013 14:00

good luck with your migraiton, let us know how you do.

October 16th, 2014 00:00

Hi there,

Sorry for following the same thread!!

Do we have any whitepapers/KB articles/Documentation on what settings are required on Hitachi USPV array to enable migration. The details like Port Role, Host mode and any other settings which are “must” for migration. We are using sancopy to pull data from HDS to VNX7500.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 17th, 2015 19:00

Hi Kishore,

Did you get an answer to this. I am looking for the same.

No Events found!