Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2015 16:00

Storage Pool with different size raid groups

Hello,

I am running a VNX7500 with Inyo 5.32.

I have a 15 disk tray 600 GB 15k drives, with 1 hot spare.

What would be the best practice to create raid groups on this tray?

I can't do (3) 4+1's (recommended), that would leave me with wasted space.

Can I create a Raid 5 8+1, and then expand using a Raid 5 4+1? That would be 14 disks, which is perfect.

Is it ok to create different size raids of the same type in a pool?

I know that I can create 2 seperate storage pools, with the 2 different raid groups.

What does everyone think?

Thank you for your time in assisting me.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 25th, 2015 18:00

if you are thinking about using striped MetaLUNs, i would not create MetaLUNs where components have different number of spindles. Either way you try it may not be optimal but sometimes you have to work with what you got. I would rather create a pool with 10 drives and then expanded it with 4 more. Last private group will be 3+1 instead of 4+1 as the previous two.

224 Posts

February 26th, 2015 05:00

Dynamox's plan looks good. But also consider what kind of application would be using these LUNS/Drives.

If configuration is strong the chances for performance issue would be minimal.

Regards,

Sheron

35 Posts

February 26th, 2015 06:00

Thanks Dynamox.

If I create a pool with 10 drives, then expand it with 4, won't any luns I create end up spanning both raid groups?

With what I have, would it be best just to create 2 raid pools?

35 Posts

February 26th, 2015 07:00

This is my first tray of 600 GB disks, so need 1 hot spare.

No tiering in this pool, just using this one tray.

I realize it is not usually best to buy one tray at a time, but that is what our company does.

I appreciate everyone's input and time, thank you very much.

I will probably go with Dynamox's response.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

when you create LUNs inside of a pool, it will be distributed in 1g "slices" on every single private raid group that comprises your storage pool. I prefer to "pool" resources together to give me the best performance possible, instead of creating isolated islands (unless you have a very good reason for isolation).

Dynamox's plan is great.  If it were me, I would create what I could optimally layout than use whats left over to add to the group once i could order more.  Do you have any other Hotspares in the box that you could go lighter on.  Best Practice is 1 drive per 30.  If you had another HS of the same time, you could layout (3) 4+1 R5 PRG's.  If we had more info we could help more.

I agree, Dynamox's recommendations are perfectly fine.

Thanks and let us know how it goes.

No Events found!