ECN-APJ
Silver

Three suggestions to make the support and maintenance process for CLARiiON/VNX more efficient

Three suggestions to make the support and maintenance process for CLARiiON/VNX more efficient

Introduction

This article is translated from the blog article posted by EMC Unified Storage Division (USD), China team.

It has been a long time since last time we posted the article about the mid-range storage. This time we’ll discuss the barriers we might encounter when requesting for the support and maintenance service for CLARiiON or VNX from EMC Customer Support center. We believe that the clearer and easier the procedure is, the more efficient the support will be.

Detailed Information

·         Question: When calling EMC support center, I could not find the serial number of the storage, what should I do?

Each time an EMC engineer takes a support case, a service request (SR) number will be generated. You can keep this number in mind to track the progress of the case, meanwhile, our remote and field engineers can collaborate this information easily. 

1.       VNX

Check the label at black:

image001.jpg

2.       CX4-120/CX4-240/CX4-480

Remove the front panel, you can see four power supplies. The serial number (TLA S/N, begin with FCN or CKM) is on the upper right corner:

image003.jpg

3.       CX4-960

Remove the front panel, you can see four power supplies. The serial is on the bottom left corner:

image005.jpg

4.       CX3-20/CX3-40

Remove the front panel, you can see four power supplies. The serial number is on the left side:

image007.jpg

5.       CX3-80

Remove the front panel, you can see four power supplies. The serial number is on the bottom left corner:

image009.jpg

·         Question: I never logged in the storage before, how to find out the management IP address and admin account password?

If you forget the IP and admin password of your storage, you can connect to its serial console port to get its IP address, then reset the admin password. Here are the steps:

1.       Establish the PPP connection from your PC/laptop to its serial port

Once the PPP connection is established, your PC/laptop will be assigned a private IP 192.168.1.2, which give you the route to its internal management interface.

image011.gif

To establish the PPP connection:

For Windows 2000/XP

a)      Follow the path:  Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network and Dial UpConnections -> Make New Connection.

b)      When the Network Connection Wizard starts, click Next to begin.

c)       Click Connect directly to another computer and click Next.

d)      Select Guest and click Next.

e)      In the Select a Device pull-down menu, select Communications between two computers (COM 1) or select COM 2 if the cable is connected to COM 2.  Click Next.

f)       In the Connection Availability dialog box, select Create this connection: For all users and click Next.

g)      In the Completing Network Connection Wizard dialog box, assign the connection a name (for example, CX700init) and click Finish.

h)      In the Connect dialog box that appears (with the name you assigned to it), click Properties.

i)        Under the General tab in the Properties dialog box, click Configure.

j)        In the Modem Configuration dialog box, select 115200 bps from the Maximum Speed pull-down list.  Verify that the Enable hardware flow control is checked.

k)      Click OK to close the dialog box. Then Click the Networking tab. PPP: Windows 95/98/NT 4/2000, Internet should appear in the Type of dial-up server I am calling list.

l)        Click Settings. Then verify that Enable LCP extensions and Enable software compression are checked, thenclick OK.

m)    Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

n)      Select Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.

o)      Click Advanced.  Verify that Use IP header compression is checked.  Deselect Use default gateway on remote network.

p)      Click OK three times to return to the Connect dialog box.

q)      Click Cancel to close the Connect dialog box.  You will enter a username and password when you initialize the storage system.

For Windows 7

First, create the COM port modem

a)      Click Start -> Control Panel -> Phone and Modem.

b)      Click Modem Tab and click add.

c)       On the Install new Modem Pane, select the "Don’t detect my modem" box, then click Next

d)      There will be a pause while it loads the models. Select Communications cable between two computers, then click Next.

e)      Select your COM port, click Next.

f)       Open the Control Panel - Search for "Phone" - select"Phone and Modem."

g)      Select Modems Tab -> Communications Cable Between... -> Properties Select Change Settings -> Modem tab - change the "Maximum Port Speed" to 115200.

h)      Disable/Enable the connection in device manager.

Next, to set up the PPP connection

a)      Click Start -> Control Panel -> Network and sharing center, click Set up a new connection or network (at the bottom).

b)      On the next screen, select set up a dial-up connection and click Next.

c)       The next screen should list modems and select the “Communications cable between two computers” you created above.

d)      On the next screen enter  phone number and username and password (clariionand clariion!) and give it a name.

e)      The above connection should now appear in Network Connections, right-click it and select Properties.

Once the connection is set up, modify the settings as follows

a)      In the General tab, click configure and set Max speed to 115200 and select enable hardware flow control.

b)      In the Options tab, click PPP settings and check top two boxes are selected (LCP extensions and SW compression).

c)       In the Security tab, check Data Encryption is “Optional Encryption (connect even if no encryption)" is set.

d)      In the Networking tab, check Internet Protocol Version 4 is selected.

e)      In the Networking tab, choose Internet Protocol Properties, then the Advanced button. Uncheck "Use default gateway on remote network."

Your connection can then be accessed from Network Connections

2.       Get the current IP address

Once the PPP connection is established, point your browser to http://192.168.1.1/setup, You can see the management IP of both SPs:

image013.gif

3.       Change admin account password

a)      Still the “setup” page, click on “Create a New Account”

b)      Enter the new admin account name and password

c)       Click on “Restart Management Server” to let the new account take effect

Note: This procedure must be performed on both Storage Processors to be effective.

Now you can use the new account to login the web console.

4.       Service LAN port (only available on CX3/CX4/VNX)

To connect to CLARiiON’s serial console port, you must have a RS232 cable. What if you do not have such a cable in your hand? With CX3/CX4/VNX’s Service LAN port (spanner icon), you can easily connect to its web console as well (and no need for a cross-over cable). Each Service LAN port has a fixed IP address:

SPA: 128.221.1.250, mask: 255.255.255.248

SPB: 128.221.1.251, mask: 255.255.255.248

image015.gif

·         Question: Some hardware component is faulted, but the device has been out of warranty, what should I do?

If your storage has been out of warranty, you can choose to renew the contract or pay for the T&M service (means one-time payment service).

1.       Renew the contract

You can call EMC sales hotline or contact your account manager, to request a support contract renewal quotation. If you don’t know the phone number of your sales manager, you can call EMC customer support hotline as well. Our support engineer will inform your local EMC sales representative to contact you.

2.       T&M service

You can call EMC customer support hotline, provide your storage’s serial number and device’s logs such as SPCollectsand support_materials. We shall estimate the one-time payment fee of the faulted component. The quotation will consist of the cost of the remote diagnosis and field operations.

iEMC APJ

Please click here for for all contents shared by us.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
selym1
Phosphor

Re: Three suggestions to make the support and maintenance process for CLARiiON/VNX more efficient

This is exactly what I'm looking for to reset the admin password on our old CX-380. Problem is some of the images were labeled with letters that didn't seem to correspond to anything, so I was a bit confused with what I was supposed to be connecting to on the back of the unit.

(port labeled "E" in image015.gif with a USB to serial cable attached, or port labeled "D" with a Cisco RJ-45 to serial with a USB to serial cable attached?)

Not to mention when I attempted to create a COM port modem on my Windows 7 machine, no ports were listed (even though my USB to Serial connection showed up in Device Manager)

I even tried using Putty with the appropriate settings using both the cable connection methods I mentioned above, but unfortunately neither seemed to work. I'd just get a black screen that never prompted me despite me patiently waiting or hitting enter in the screen.

Any thoughts or advice would be sincerely appreciated.

0 Kudos
ECN-APJ
Silver

Re: Three suggestions to make the support and maintenance process for CLARiiON/VNX more efficient

Hi Selym, if you want to reset the admin password, you need to use the console cable (RS232) to establish a PPP connection to its service console port (“E” port). After a PPP connection is established, you can add a new admin account on its "setup" page.

For more information, you could refer to

Need help on how to connect my laptop to the SP

CX3 factory reset

0 Kudos
selym1
Phosphor

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately there is no "create new admin" field on the sp set up page (I've connected to both separately to check). Does this mean my only option is to destroy the domain information? I'm ok with that as long as it's not disruptive to the data on the array.

0 Kudos
ECN-APJ
Silver

We need to use a serial connection for the procedure to work. Have you fixed COM port modem issue? Besides, please make sure to use this URL: http:// 192.168.1.1/setup. Thanks.

0 Kudos
selym1
Phosphor

Yes, I connected with serial. COM issue is fixed. I browsed to http:// 192.168.1.1/setup and saw the various settings, but there was no place that said create a new account. I made a separate connection for the other SP and checked http:// 192.168.1.1/setup there as well and there was no option to create a new account on that page either. (I know the create new user setting exists as I've confirmed on other arrays that I have the password for, but that option was not present for this array connected via serial)

That's why I was wondering if my only other option is to destroy security and domain information, but I just don't want to do that if it's disruptive to the data.

0 Kudos
Yanhong1
Germanium

Hi Selym,

You can try to restart the Management Server (the button is also on the “setup” page, it’s non-disruptive operation) or even reboot the SP (might cause the downtime, please make sure the hosts have the active paths to both SPs) to see if the option is back.

Destroying security and domain information won't affect the data on the storage generally. If you don’t have any MirrorView session, you can also have a try. Please follow the EMC KB emc103955 or ID6876 “How to reset security and domain information on a CLARiiON storage array” to reset the security information. The article is only available to EMC employees or partners. So generally people call technical support for doing this.

Thanks.

Rafa_IT
Nickel

Hello.

Thanks for your explanation, but I have a doubt!

In explanation point:  d) On the next screen enter  phone number and username and password (clariion and clariion!) and give it a name.

Whats should be the ISP phone number? Is possible to use internal network?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
kelleg
Rhenium

Re: Re: Three suggestions to make the support and maintenance process for CLARiiON/VNX more efficient

Those steps should have been:

To set up the PPP connection on Win7:

1. Click Start -> Control Panel -> Network and sharing center, click Set up a new connection or network (at the bottom).
  2. On the next screen, select set up a dial-up connection and click Next.
  3. The next screen should list modems and select the "Communications cable between two computers" you created above.
  4. On the next screen do not put a phone number in, but put in the username and password (clariion and clariion!) and give it a name.
  5. The above connection should now appear in Network Connections, right-click it and select Properties.

glen

Rafa_IT
Nickel

Hello Glen. Very appreciate.

Still I have the error 777 (connection attempt failed. Modem on the remote computer is out.

What could be fail?

I have laptop and SAN connected via RS232 (laptop COM1, SAN letter E from above image)

Thanks so much.

0 Kudos