Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2015 18:00

Understanding Data Mover Failover

Hi All,

I'm having a configuration like this:

primary data mover is server_2 (standby is server_3)

i have 2 x 10gbps port (cge1-0 and cge 1-1) of server_2 configured as lacp0 device

i have 1 network interface configured for lacp0 device

1 VDM created to use that network interface acting as a CIFS Server

nothing is configured for server_3

I want to ask if the server_2 fail, all the devices configuration, network configuration and VDM will be automatically taken over by server_3?

I know that VDM will be taken over, but how about the lacp configuration and the network interface configuration for the lacp device? do i need to configure lacp for server_3?

40 Posts

November 17th, 2015 05:00

Hi...

Provided that the data mover you are failing over to has the identical hardware characteristics, the failover should accomplish switching over all settings for the original data mover.

I have attached an excellent resource for you.

Best Wishes.

1 Attachment

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 17th, 2015 07:00

make sure network connectivity for server_3 on the switch side is identical to server_2 configuration.

8.6K Posts

November 17th, 2015 08:00

YES – all the configuration will be taken over by the standby

Of course the switch ports connecting to the standby need to be configured exactly like the corresponding one’s of the primary.

More information is in the Standby for VNX manual available from support.emc.com

Its of course always advisable to test that failover/failback works before putting a system into production

15 Posts

November 17th, 2015 23:00

I see, so the standby server will be renamed to the faulted server, that's why it will be transparent to the front end and almost no disruption on the front end operations. thank you guys for your help

No Events found!