Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2017 19:00

VNX 5200 Direct connect to ESXi 6.0 U3

Hi,

I would like to direct connect (no storage switching layer) new ESXi hosts (qlogic HBA) to a VNX 5200 used in production. This VNX is configured with storage pools that the new ESXi hosts need to see (and access the data stores via vspher).

Reading the EMC documentation there is no mention whether the physical connectivity between the HBA and the VNX SP will cause any downtime/interruption to the existing and online LUN's that are presented to already connected older (and will be retired) ESXi hosts.

So far the process is to connect each HBA to a SP port, confirm the initiators are available in Unisphere, within Storage Groups - connect the host. Configure the Failover via the Failover Wizard then lastly rescan the HBA's on the host. The existing data stores should then become visible to the new ESXi hosts

Is there a recommended procedure to do this? Or any caveats to be aware of? The EMC documentation does not provide a clear step by step instructions regarding this.

Many thanks

Peter

4.5K Posts

April 11th, 2017 08:00

Have you looked the mydocument.emc.com site? Go to VNX, then to Server Tasks, the "Attach a Server" and follow the Wizard. This should create a document for installing a New host to an Existing array.

glen

5 Posts

April 11th, 2017 16:00

Hi Glen

Yes, I have gone through this document a number of times

I don’t see any mention of downtime or disruption to existing infrastructure when connecting the host

Thanks

Peter

20 Posts

April 11th, 2017 20:00

As Glen mentions, this is possible, and the procedure is available at the site he links.

However, consider the scalability of such a solution... What happens when your ESXi cluster grows beyond 4 nodes?  What happens if you want to attach some Windows or Linux servers to the VNX, or use MirrorView or SAN Copy?  Those front-end ports run out quickly. 

What happens if you decide to use VPLEX or RecoverPoint in your SAN? Then you have to re-cable it back to SAN switches in order for those solutions to work.

4.5K Posts

April 12th, 2017 13:00

Adding a new host to an existing Storage Group should not be a disruptive process. Until you actually attach the host to the Storage Group, the connecting the cables and registering the new host on the array does not affect any production LUNs. Once you connect the host to the Storage Group, it should just show up in the Storage Group and after you reboot the host, the LUNs should appear.

As with any operation, you should always have a recent backup and perform the connection during a maintenance window, just to be safe.

glen

5 Posts

April 12th, 2017 15:00

Glen thanks that is the information I am after

Although it is a simple environment I just want to cover as many risks as possible

No Events found!