Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2012 12:00

VNX 5300 Block only

Hi Team,

We have recently purchased a VNX 5300 Block only box, it is not a unified storage. We did not get any CD's during the purchase .I need to know where do i get the VNX installation Assistant for block only. I could find the VNX assistant for file but not separately for BLock storage. Kindly give me the link where to downoad the VNX VIA for Block storage.

Also need to know if the VNX setup prerequisites from scratch.

130 Posts

October 18th, 2012 13:00

The tool you need is call the VNX Storage System Initialization Utility.  The latest version can be found here:

Unisphere Storage System Initialization Utility (Windows) 1.2.0.1.0554

-Mike

56 Posts

October 19th, 2012 03:00

Thanks Michael. This should help...

56 Posts

October 19th, 2012 10:00

hi michael

from the unisphere storage system initilization utility , will i be able to assign ip to teh processors.

How do i assign teh ip's to teh SP's after connecting the management ports to the network computer

130 Posts

The Initialization Utility will assign management IPs to each SP.  Run this utility to assign the management IPs, and when it finishes, launch Unisphere to configure iSCSI ports on the SPs.

The utility can be used to configure iSCSI ports as well, but I prefer to use Unisphere to do this.

56 Posts

hi michael,

Should we have to connect the SP B and SP A management port cables to a local network switch and then run this utility.

Kindly let us know.

October 20th, 2012 02:00

Yes, the SP A and SP B mgmt ports need to be connected to the same network/subnet as the host running the initialization utility.  It finds the array via MAC address discovery.

Also, you will want to make sure that the (1Gbps) switch ports that the SP mgmt ports are connected to are set to auto-negotiate speed/duplex as that matches the configuration of the 1Gbps mgmt ports from the factory.  Once initialized, if desired, you can then set both switch ports and SP mgmt ports to 1Gbps/full-duplex (or leave both as auto). 

Basically you want to avoid setting one end-point to auto and the other fixed.  It is a general best practice for the spec.  Finally, as a reminder be respectful of the maximum supported distance for 1Gbps transmission if using Cat 5e cabling if Cat 6 cabling is not available.  I mention these last two points because they have been known to cause issues during array initialization when not taken into consideration.

No Events found!