Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 6th, 2016 08:00

VNX 5300 Control Station KVM

I tried connecting a crash cart to a Control Station recently without success. The back of the control station has ports for VGA, PS2's for Keyboard / Mouse + USB's for the same, but no luck.

I'm trying to change ip's on the array shipped from another data center. The Array doesn't have the EMC Supplied Serial Cable. All I have are blue CISCO Null Modem Cables.

Are the KVM Ports disabled?

8.6K Posts

September 6th, 2016 15:00

Yes you need to use the serial port

8.6K Posts

September 6th, 2016 15:00

I am pretty sure the pin layout for the serial port cable is either documented in the knowledgebase and/or Solve

169 Posts

September 6th, 2016 17:00

control station console is redirected to the serial port. It is not easy to work on this without serial cable (Standard db9 port), because as soon as it boots, vga console will stop showing anything because of the redirection.

8 Posts

September 7th, 2016 23:00

Is it at all possible to do with a crossover cable?

I tried a standard DB9 cable I found laying around and no luck. I'm thinking I need the small serial connector that's specific to EMC.

2 Intern

• 

141 Posts

September 15th, 2016 00:00

Hi, the serial cable is a null-modem cable, both ends DB9 female. But Cisco cables will not work (I tried lots of them). The serial cable with the tiny EMC-specific connector is only going to work on the SPs or Data-Mover, but not the control station.

If you also have a Data Domain system, the serial cable from that works perfectly with a VNX control station.

Are you using the offical document from EMC on how to change the IPs? That's available here:

https://mydocuments.emc.com/relatedDocs.jsp?rd=RelatedDocs_1

(near the bottom of the list)

Theoretically it should be possible to use a crossover cable directly on the CS. Changing the IPs of the SPs is no problem this way. The procedure resets the SP IPs to the internal defaults, and then you set new ones (if you are moving to a different subnet). For the CS, after you execute the nas_cs -set -ip4address command your SSH session would be disconnected and you can reconfigure your laptop with the appropriate IP, reconnnect and keep going.

No Events found!