Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 31st, 2014 00:00

VNX 8.1 VNX 2 5200 / 5400 - NDMP Broken No backup,Bad Testing from EMC

Hi Guys

According to EMC Document on EMC VNX Series Release 8.1 - Configuring NDMP Backups on VNX , you simply sail into Backup Exec or Netbackup and create the NDMP connection as you would of done on 7.1. This doesn't work.

https://mydocs.emc.com/VNXDocs/300-014-334_01.pdf

Symantec support have said that VNX OE File 8.1 doesn't work with their products for NDMP. It basically errors with "Operation Not supported" log files show the error when using SGMON on the Backup Exec Server.

ADAMM_SESSION_EXECUTE_NDMP_VALIDATE_HOST

Symantec fixed the issue with the below Article when VNX OE File was updated to 7.1.47.5 from 7.1.x

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH195037

So my question is :

*     Is EMC VNX 8.1 NDMP backup document a load of rubbish and clearly demonstrates they never tested NDMP backups with backup exec or Net Backup with OE File 8.1 , or am i missing something ?

*     Does a workaround exist to change the OE File reply from saying eg 8.1 to 7.1 on a VNX2 5200 unified , so that backup exec will work with. My understanding is that EMC haven't actually changed how it works , as NDMP v4 is NDMP v4?

At the moment , buying EMC Unified for anyone else until backup products are resolved is a disaster.  We have a client who have just bought 3 of them and no NDMP backup disaster about to unfold.

Thanks

Neil

February 3rd, 2014 02:00

I have exactly the same issue, I can add the VNX as a user defined share in abckup exec 2010 R3 SP4, but not with NDMP, I logged a call with symantec, their response was to direct me to the request feature webpage. Not exactly helpful.

Interesting though when I add the server as a user defined share it uses the NDMP username to connect.

I think Symantec are struggling to keep up with everyhting thing, they only just relased support for Server 2012, just after R2 has come out. It seems to be the way they are at the moment, not very helpfull.

9 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 03:00

Hi ian , the process of creating the NDMP user sets it to have in the windows world "backup operator" , "bypass traverse checking" and similar. We had a quick look at that as it meant that technically a user could then "browse" the CIFS file shares which was against our security policy.

Very disappointing currently on the backup front. When using a CIFS level backup the performance is absolutely dire versus NDMP, the real crippling issue is no incremental , nightmare with multi TB backups.

Reality setting in that :

1.     EMC testing copied and pasted the NDMP function from a VNX 0E 7.1 for 8.1 - blaggers as it clearly doesn't work.

2.     Doubtful a magic config file change exists to make a VNX OE 8.1 behave like 7.1 for NDMP to work

3.     Delaying large data store migration as long as possible until support from a EMC / Symantec arrives.

4.     With no known anticipated arrival date , latest support release as of 16th Jan didn't include 8.1 support , thus to advise caution when looking to purchase new EMC Unified equipment , tough to combat with NetApp being fully supported.

5.     We have a call in with Symantec account management team direct and through our distie , but hopes are low as apparently they are on full sprint for getting 2012 R2 ready in time.

Well annoyed by all this.

If anyone from EMC reads this , please can you see what strings your pull at Symantec to get YOUR PRODUCT supported. Very tough sell of YOUR PRODUCT when you can't decently protect YOUR PRODUCT.

Many Thanks

Neil

1.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2014 14:00

Hi Neil -

I think you'll get more traction with your EMC account team.  I was on the receiving end of NDMP issues with Netbackup 6.5.1 to 7.5.1, having to back out of DART upgrades from DART 6.x, when Netbackup wasn't yet qualified.  I strongly urge to you reach out to your account team and your SAM, if available.  An official customer request gets much more visibility than posts on the Community forums.

As an aside, have you tried setting/running your NDMP backups as NDMPv3 backups instead?  You can change the max Protocol version on the VNX.  BackupExec 2010 seemed to handle things much better, before the first maintenance pack was released.

[nasadmin@vnxtest-cs0~]$ server_param server_2 -facility NDMP -info maxProtocolVersion

server_2 :

name                    = maxProtocolVersion

facility_name          = NDMP

default_value          = 4

current_value          = 4

configured_value        =

user_action            = none

change_effective        = immediate

range                  = (2,4)

description            = Set the max NDMP version used

The setting can be changed without rebooting the datamover.  You might try lowering it to NDMP v3, re-registering, and seeing if that makes a diff.  Granted, if NBU is failing because it's unaware of the VNX5200 during the NDMP inquiry, this won't do much...

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

39 Posts

February 5th, 2014 09:00

VNX OE8.1 has not passed qualification with Symantec NetBackup.  The issue has been identified and a fix is being worked.  Once resolved support will be added to the NIM.  

9 Posts

February 6th, 2014 00:00

Hi Karl ,

Tested the idea , afraid no joy... In waiting

Thanks

Neil

9 Posts

February 6th, 2014 00:00

Point taken not supported in NBU , my massive frustration is :

https://mydocs.emc.com/VNXDocs/300-014-334_01.pdf     Page143 denotes how easy it is to do with 8.1 and backup exec and netbackup

Lot of time wasted due to inaccurate documentation.

1.2K Posts

February 6th, 2014 05:00

Bummer - sorry to hear that, Neil.  Do you have any options for three-way NDMP?  That is, do you have access to an older VNX or Celerra to serve as the tape host?

In the past, I had an NS80 that was physically connected to a tape library, managed by NBU 6.5.1.  Another department bought an NS20 with BackupExec, and they couldn't get BE to back up the NS20.  We configured three-way NDMP, so the data from the NS20 came over to our NS80, which put the files to tape.  We continued this until BE released a maintenance pack (actually two service packs, hot fixes, blah blah blah) and got it working.

Years later, we did the reverse when we deployed Isilon.  We used three-way NDMP with the Isilon as the tape server (attached to tape via an FC accelerator node) and backed up our NS80 when we upgraded to NBU 7.0 (we were on DART 6.0.42 and kept getting backup timeouts from NBU).  We had to continue this way until 7.0.2 and DART 6.0.47 got us back to stable backups again.

It's not ideal, but is it an option?

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

8.6K Posts

March 14th, 2014 16:00

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH212772

Hi Neil,

Symantec has now released a new Service Pack (SP4) for Backup Exec 2012  that should fix support for VNX2.

see  the link above.

Could you please let us know if this works for you ?

Rainer

8.6K Posts

March 17th, 2014 12:00

FYI

I got confirmation from another customer that BE 2012 SP4 works now with VNX2 NDMP

It isnt listed in the SP4 release notes and they Symanctec HCL doesnt show it yet

Rainer

March 18th, 2014 00:00

I just tried on my server and still get the same error but then I have Backup exec 2010 R3 SP4, "The requested operation is not supported",There are no new hotfixes. Is your customer adding the VNX as an NDMP devcie or just addding a share and using the NDMP account ?

Ian

March 18th, 2014 01:00

I have logged a call with Symantec to be sure.

Ian

8.6K Posts

March 18th, 2014 02:00

Thanks

I would be good to have it listed in the SP4 release notes and the HCL updated.

8.6K Posts

That customer was using NDMP and he reports that it now works with SP4

SP4 is only out for about a week now

SP4 came out 23rd January this year, unless they have re released this

Ian

8.6K Posts

March 18th, 2014 04:00

Hmmh, maybe they did

The article http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH212772 was updated on March 13th

See also http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/458535-backup-exec-2012-revision-1798-service-pack-4-is-now-available

Let us know what you find out

No Events found!