Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2013 01:00

VNX/Clariion

Can anyone answer if its possible to take a backup of my first five drives on VNX/Clariion platforms using netbackup/Avamar or any other way?

8.6K Posts

July 28th, 2013 02:00

If you mean the OS and config on the vault disks - no

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

July 28th, 2013 02:00

For VNX, there are 4 Vault disks configured as two independent software mirrors (more or less).

SPA uses the disks in slot 0 and 2 and all of the OE files and configuration is mirrored to those two disks.

SPB uses the disks in slot 1 and 3 and all of the OE files and configuration is mirrored to those two disks.

In the event of a disk failure, the affected SP will continue to operate on the surviving disk until the failed disk is replaced.  Once the disk is replaced, the data is re-mirrored to the new disk using the surviving disk as a source.   Replacing a vault disk is the same as replacing any other disk, you just need to be very careful that you don’t have other faults at the same time because multiple faults can affect the array’s stability and possibly impact the consistency of write cache if something went awry during replacement.

To my knowledge, there is not a backup/restore process for VNX OE, or CLARiiON FLARE for that matter, especially one that you could manage as a customer/user.

It is technically possible that the array will continue to run and serve IO, with access to all data, even with a failure of up to 3 of the 4 vault disks simultaneously.  This situation is highly improbably however and any scenario like that would likely affect more than just those disks (ie: power outage).

Hopefully that answers your questions about the vault disks.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

July 31st, 2013 02:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

July 31st, 2013 08:00

Thanks for your reply Jeffey, I think I am all set for now. Thats what I was thinking based on my experience in the storage but thought to check with the experts on this community.

Thanks again!

No Events found!