Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2014 07:00

VNX Clone - how to clone

I have questions - on VNX I have to LUNs presented to VM 5.1 - Vcenter and I want make copy of thos two LUNs and use as the test.

This is one time copy.

My question is how I should do this?

1. I have reserved LUN pool with 10 GB LUNs total of 20% of capacity of source LUN

2. I want to create copy with minimum impact on the performance

3. I want coordinate the time when I can break the clone

4. Break the clone and presented cloned LUNs to new host.

Can someone help How I should do this.

I have done this long time ago on CX using server tools but now I want control the process from the array.

Thanks Arek

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 3rd, 2014 07:00

why do you want to do this ? I can imagine tools like Recover Manager can quiesce all the VMs on that datastore before you fracture the clone, otherwise you will get crash consistent copy of all those VMs.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 3rd, 2014 08:00

snapshot is not a copy, different use-case

8.6K Posts

I you dont need to really “break” the clone – just present a snapshot to a host read-write I would suggest VNX (Advanced) snapshots

I would start with reading the VNX snapshots white paper to get an understanding whats possible and how it works.

If you really need a clone – there is still the older SnapView – that hasn’t changed since the CX days

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

create clone (use SnapView documentation), once in consistent or synchronized state fracture.  As i mentioned before, VM will be in crash consistent state.  Back in ESXi 4.x days you had to resignature the LUN to be able to mount it on the same ESXi cluster, not sure about 5.1 ..something that you need to research.

16 Posts

I need copy - mirror of LUNs for testing. This is on VNX5500.

Just asking for steps.

4.5K Posts

September 8th, 2014 14:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

No Events found!